More Shorts and this month's live show
(Sep 17, 2022, 15:25 pm)peephalk Wrote:
(Sep 17, 2022, 15:19 pm)csgersbeck Wrote: I shouldn't assume you're not a supporter in other ways, so apologies for that. I think you can understand how seeing criticism for something on a message board that exists solely to pirate stuff might rub me the wrong way.

I honestly appreciate that you guys like the shows enough to share them on here. So, thank you.

I think you honestly do understand. I only replied because I know for a fact that MANY folks on this site are supporters, and we are actually one of the best sources you have for advertising. We spread the word, we aren't evil pirates, WE ARE FANS! That's why we're here, and I'm glad you understand this is a FAN site, not a free-for-all

Yeah but c'mon dude.  I also support these guys when I have the money, which isn't as often lately as I would like.  But I LOVE the shorts.  And whining about them doing another shorts session, which 1) again I love and 2) GETS THEM THE MONEY THEY NEED is cheap at best, given how in-depth you went with your attack on it.  Accusing them of not trying?  Seriously?

Scrounged up the money for the next live show mostly because of this.
Gersbz: There were tweets made leading up to the show which were *not* representative of the comedy within the show, aside from maybe 5 jokes made by Frank out of *all* of the jokes. That’s less than 2%.

This is like the terrible trailer for Fight Club (you might be too young to recall it) which *did not* accurately represent what [the film] Fight Club was about. Quite the opposite, in fact. Thus, many-many-many folks didn’t by tickets to Fight Club and only saw it when it hit cable.  The trailer implied a film devoid of the nuances present and redolent within the film.

The tweets, to myself and others I’ve spoken to, had the same effect.

The tweets felt like cutting-room-floor Samantha Bee pseudo-quips. She was fired for low ratings, fired for - basically - snarking rather than making jokes. Frank is a prime jokester.  Samantha is not; she failed. Frank imitating Samantha in tweets leading up to the show was the equivalent of Oscar Wilde trying to sell some extra copies by emulating Andrew Dice Clay circa 1987.  Please take that as a compliment and a barometer of my appreciation of Frank. Frank is the "anti-Dice", in so many ways.

Frank and Trace are the Vaudeville/Fantastic Four/etc. guys. That’s why folks tune in. Can’t get that elsewhere. Material & comments that sound like an 18 year old on tiktok or reddit? Everyone can get those for FREE. There is no point in paying for that.  There are millions of accounts putting up those unfunny Samantha Bee non-Jokes (for which she was fired) every *hour*. None of those accounts are capable of making sublime jokes like Frank made in Brain From Planet Arous or T-Birds.

If the Beatles - near their end - had put out a record where all the songs sounded like “Tiptoe Through The Tulips” by Tiny Tim, it would’ve been the lowest-selling Beatles album in history.

If the Beatles had been interviewed and said “We’re doing a new album; it’s all gonna be like ‘Tiptoe Through The Tulips’ by Tiny Tim,” it would have been the lowest selling Beatles album even if all the songs were like Dear Prudence.  Because people would be expecting "Tiptoe Through The Tulips” .
(Sep 21, 2022, 17:35 pm)SuspiriaTrumpsItFollowsCrap Wrote: Gersbz: There were tweets made leading up to the show which were *not* representative of the comedy within the show, aside from maybe 5 jokes made by Frank out of *all* of the jokes. That’s less than 2%.

This is like the terrible trailer for Fight Club (you might be too young to recall it) which *did not* accurately represent what [the film] Fight Club was about. Quite the opposite, in fact. Thus, many-many-many folks didn’t by tickets to Fight Club and only saw it when it hit cable.  The trailer implied a film devoid of the nuances present and redolent within the film.

The tweets, to myself and others I’ve spoken to, had the same effect.

The tweets felt like cutting-room-floor Samantha Bee pseudo-quips. She was fired for low ratings, fired for - basically - snarking rather than making jokes. Frank is a prime jokester.  Samantha is not; she failed. Frank imitating Samantha in tweets leading up to the show was the equivalent of Oscar Wilde trying to sell some extra copies by emulating Andrew Dice Clay circa 1987.  Please take that as a compliment and a barometer of my appreciation of Frank. Frank is the "anti-Dice", in so many ways.

Frank and Trace are the Vaudeville/Fantastic Four/etc. guys. That’s why folks tune in. Can’t get that elsewhere. Material & comments that sound like an 18 year old on tiktok or reddit? Everyone can get those for FREE. There is no point in paying for that.  There are millions of accounts putting up those unfunny Samantha Bee non-Jokes (for which she was fired) every *hour*. None of those accounts are capable of making sublime jokes like Frank made in Brain From Planet Arous or T-Birds.

If the Beatles - near their end - had put out a record where all the songs sounded like “Tiptoe Through The Tulips” by Tiny Tim, it would’ve been the lowest-selling Beatles album in history.

If the Beatles had been interviewed and said “We’re doing a new album; it’s all gonna be like ‘Tiptoe Through The Tulips’ by Tiny Tim,” it would have been the lowest selling Beatles album even if all the songs were like Dear Prudence.  Because people would be expecting "Tiptoe Through The Tulips” .

I honestly have no idea what you're talking about!!! What tweets are you referring to? What does Samantha Bee have to do with anything? If you're referring to Frank's Twitter feed, how is that supposed to be a representation of the show? I'm confused. Also, Samantha Bee is super hilarious, and by all accounts of the various writers and performers I've known to work with her, an awesome person. If there's a joke here, it's flying right over my head.
(Sep 15, 2022, 18:21 pm)csgersbeck Wrote:
(Sep 15, 2022, 18:03 pm)Rifferee Wrote: Thanks!

Thanks guys! Enjoy - and if you could help out with a donation or a merch/download purchase we'd really appreciate it! Unfortunately this was our lowest-selling event since we started Sad

https://donate.dumb-industries.com/
https://dumb-industries.com/store
https://dumb-industries.com/dumbvideo

You guys should strongly consider some type of monthly membership system, which unlocks all the previous videos & also allows the member to view the new videos when they come out.

I'm thinking of something like the Jaboody dubs "Movie Commentary Tracks" Patreon membership level:
https://www.patreon.com/jaboodydubs

You might find that you'll make a lot more money this way. The system is obviously lucrative for Jaboody, because they seem to be doing Ok, and are actively bringing out new stuff.

The reason it'll most likely work is that there is a lot of consumer inertia. Once people sign up to a membership, then a lot of people will just keep the membership going indefinitely. This is why Amazon etc are so desperate to sign up people for things like Amazon Prime, and do things like offer the first month free.

So, yeah, you might get a few people who sign-up once a year, download everything & then cancel their membership. But, there might be a lot more people who just keep the membership going month-to-month, and specially, if they know that the membership will allow them to continue to see new videos each month.
(Sep 15, 2022, 18:21 pm)csgersbeck Wrote:
(Sep 15, 2022, 18:03 pm)Rifferee Wrote: Thanks!

Thanks guys! Enjoy - and if you could help out with a donation or a merch/download purchase we'd really appreciate it! Unfortunately this was our lowest-selling event since we started Sad

https://donate.dumb-industries.com/
https://dumb-industries.com/store
https://dumb-industries.com/dumbvideo

I assure ya Chris, I have been a big supporter since Glen or Glenda and always make sure to get tickets to the live show each month.

Low-selling or not, I am always excited to see each one.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gumby: The Glob and The Groobee (Rifftrax Shorts) Robobex 8 1,037 Apr 17, 2024, 11:46 am
Last Post: Chad Pigeon
  May live show JusSonic 4 627 Apr 16, 2024, 02:21 am
Last Post: intransitivelie
  Rifftrax Live 2024 Kickatarter announced ageekyguy 66 8,284 Apr 11, 2024, 11:49 am
Last Post: peephalk
  Has anyone ever "fixed" Rifftrax Live Time Chasers? ageekyguy 3 714 Apr 10, 2024, 11:19 am
Last Post: ageekyguy
  Tickets for A Night of Shorts 15 and this month's live show JusSonic 7 1,386 Mar 22, 2024, 10:36 am
Last Post: SuperLake