MST-HD Remaster Project Vol. 3: Alien From LA

Finally back with another volume in my MST3K remaster project. After back-to-back Joel episodes, we enter the Mike era with Alien From L.A.

Once again the episode was upscaled and silhouettes were isolated and placed in front of an HD source of the movie being riffed. No dialogue was removed.

This movie is a curious case because it was shot in Super35 format, so it was framed both for widescreen theatrical exhibition and 4:3 home video display, to avoid panning and scanning within the wide frame. Many filmmakers have used this format including James Cameron, Ridley Scott, and Peter Jackson. Director Albert Pyun lamented that widescreen version has never been widely available, so I have honored his wishes in creating this remaster of the MST3K episode by cropping the 16:9 blu-ray source to a 2.35:1 aspect ratio. Doing so only confirms that yes, the movie was shot with that framing in mind. For more information on Super35: https://w.wiki/B4cX I've also made a version that is open matte.

Again, adjustments to accommodate the widescreen HD format include:
  • using a rotoscoped final countdown door to open/close on the movie segment
  • red curtains to cover Mike and the bots entering/exiting from within the frame. This is done 3 times in the episode. The last countdown door covers the rest
Also:
  • did a separate pass for Crow's head. Tweaked to accommodate the extra detail in this season 5 episode (that detail just wasn't there in the two Godzilla episodes from season 2). I'd say I got about 90% of the detail.
  • frame-by-frame clean-up/animating of Mike's hands in several instances, and Crow's hat in one instance
  • added custom "Turn Down Your Lights" opening, and recreated "A Best Brains Production" stinger clip at the end

I didn't realize going into the one that season 5 has probably the toughest silhouettes to extract. A lot of fine-tuning was involved to get clean silhouettes throughout. The detail on Crow's head is so delicate in season 5, I decided to do a separate pass for him, which added a lot more time.

Special thanks to Zapp at Project MSTie for upscaling the silhouettes and host segments. Any fan of MST3K should be following their YouTube channel which provides the absolute best-looking versions of the classic show. And check out their archive.org page for episode downloads. Also a big thanks to them for providing me with a new method for extracting the silhouettes. Looking forward to putting it to use on future episodes.

Now I'm not going to make the mistake of promising when another one of these will be out, but I am excited to utilize the new time-saving method for extracting silhouettes Smile

All of my MST-HD Remasters can be found here: https://mega.nz/folder/GohSSKJI#YcZB1hR88vhVyh6Sb5__Hg

Alien From L.A. is available in Scope and Open Matte, as well as HQ and MED for both. Personally, I lean toward the scope version, but I understand where others would prefer the open matte.

Enjoy!
came here after seeing Zapp's link to your channel to post it myself, incredible work!
Stunning! Got the scope version, it's amazing. Thanks for all the work you put into this
Once again, amazing work. This is exactly the kind of work I wish Joel and crew would focus on as a way to keep the classic episodes alive. I'm thrilled you're tackling this project.
Is there a technical issue with doing the host segments in full academy ratio like they would normally appear on television instead of in a small box in the center of the screen?
great work seacom!!
STUNNING QUALITY!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  MST-adjacent Kickstarter ageekyguy 0 385 Sep 01, 2024, 15:27 pm
Last Post: ageekyguy
  Amanda & the Alien (1995) 1080p.Web-Handy Handy 10 7,379 Jul 16, 2024, 22:33 pm
Last Post: RowsdowerRevenge
  The Alien Dead (blu-ray upgrade) billythefist 9 7,625 Jun 16, 2024, 23:53 pm
Last Post: I Want To Go Faster
  Looking for a couple MST DVD Extras ageekyguy 4 1,124 May 24, 2024, 03:54 am
Last Post: I Want To Go Faster
  Alien Outlaw (blu-ray upgrade) billythefist 8 4,083 May 13, 2024, 02:42 am
Last Post: BudgetBits