Poll: What kinds of computers to do you use?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
desktops
25.00%
3 25.00%
laptops
50.00%
6 50.00%
both
25.00%
3 25.00%
Total 12 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Laptops vs. Desktops vs. Both
Hey guys.

One of my computers went south, and being the one to that fucking Dell computer, I can't say I'm surprised.

It's just the thing just turns into a neither off or on mode, kind of like a perpetual hibernation stage that you can't make it snap itself out of.

It was like this before. I changed the RAM, but that problem didn't go away.

Recently, the symptom became more frequent after each passing day.

It's an Optiplex GX270 from Dell.

I went to other forums to search for that question, and I found that many people in those forums had that very problem. Plus, when the computer was off in long hours, I had to reset the computer about five times so that it will successfully boot to the operating system.

The Dell forum administrators said it had something to do with the capacitors and that Dell would offer a replace: two years before I bought the junk!

It was refurbished and we bought it in a local Canadian franchise shop, so, again, I would be a fool to not expect it to not run.

I am shopping for another one, which brings me to the question at hand: what kind of computer should I buy and what make is the most reliable?

Do you use desktops, laptops, or both? What are some pros and cons for both? Not right or wrong, but just articulate your points as much as possible.

I have opened the poll for people who would use both at the same time as well. Likewise, why would you use both?

OK, have fun!
Vote for desktop.
Because I've a Desktops Big Grin
I think Desktops is easier to maintain.

For mobility, of course Laptops.

It depends on your needs.
Hey RobertX

I use both a laptop and a desktop. 

Laptop: 
Cons: Slightly more expensive. Upgrades and repairs are more expensive, lack of standardization. Usage life is shorter because of more activity in a smaller space. Older ports may not be included. Easy to damage. Most parts can not be upgraded and are built in. Limited Power. Can't connect to Ethernet cables.
Pros: Takes up less space. Built it, no cable hassle. Portable for on the go. Battery to save work in power outage. Can connect to WiFi.

Desktop:
Cons: Not portable. Hard to assemble, lots of cable. Takes up space. No battery to save work. Need more items such as monitor.
Pros: Cheaper. Upgrades and repairs are cheaper and can be done by you. Usage life is long. Old ports included, for maximum capability. More powerful processor. Possible to add features. Most parts can be upgraded. Better speed of download. Better parts (mouse, keyboard). 

I would use both on the basics that Laptop is for personal business such as accounting & desktop for TPB and other activities like encoding that require more power.

Enjoy! Rolleyes
No Ethernet cables?

I know that a laptop computer is good when you plan to take it outside, but it should be prepared for backward compatibility.

Well, I wrote this thread a few months ago, and since then, did some research.

I have to disagree on that point. However, the other points make sense.

Thanks, guys!
(Aug 29, 2017, 23:56 pm)RobertX Wrote: No Ethernet cables?

I know that a laptop computer is good when you plan to take it outside, but it should be prepared for backward compatibility.

Well, I wrote this thread a few months ago, and since then, did some research.

I have to disagree on that point. However, the other points make sense.

Thanks, guys!

Sorry, was only thinking about specific Apple's on that point. You are right some PC's still have that Ethernet Cable.
Thanks anyway, contrail.

For a moment I thought no one is going to answer this thread.
I love my Laptop because it sucks, and functions as a seedbox
I love my Desktop because it takes the heavy load from GNOME, yes my fan squirts to make my CPU colder.
lustrous, you've been digging up all my old threads!

Good!
(Jan 26, 2024, 22:55 pm)RobertX Wrote: lustrous, you've been digging up all my old threads!

Good!

Why not! Heart Wink
More like why?

For that I will answer "because they're the best that SuprBay has to the bestest sharing platforum on the Internet!"

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question on Laptops and Torrenting jigsaw52 1 16,402 Oct 03, 2016, 15:39 pm
Last Post: Moe
  Not Firefox or Chrome - what browser is light enough and faster than both? Egidius 6 19,960 Apr 22, 2015, 15:10 pm
Last Post: ss4micky
  Best laptops to buy? jigsaw52 24 62,973 Aug 04, 2014, 12:46 pm
Last Post: iv0live