Jailbreaking and Android phone
So, I'm looking for someone to point me in the right direction. I've googled and something called king-o keeps popping up, but would love hearing something from here before I accidentally do something bad.
King Root is a well known tool to "unlock and root" any phone, as far that specific model was already cracked. It has a database of replacement bootstraps and insertion procedures for each phone; obviously, every time a new device comes up, someone has to crack it and as soon they get their hands on the solution, they add it to the database.

Problem with automated tools is they don't always work, as some phones include obfuscating, mutating anti-cracking code and even custom hardware.

What exactly are you trying to do? "jailbreak" is a term associated with Apple (iOS) phones, and by extension it can be used for Androids, but it's more usually "rooting" or "boot unlocking" or "recovery replacing" with TWRP (or other).

That is very specific to a phone model, down to variant (factory code). Replacing the phone's "ROM" (NAND) boot sequence will probably brick (ruin) it.

www.gsmarena.com has forums on custom ROMs, hacking tools, etc including newbie FAQs and tutorial. Best source I know of.

Before I forget: King has had a bad reputation due inclusion of spyware and many fakes (trojans) popping around. Be sure to get the real deal.
I am basically trying to install an OS level ad blocker so I can get apps without having the distracting ads on it at all. It comes in the form of an app that is not available via the Google Play store.
If you can't find solutions on automated apps nor the phone cracking forums, it's much safer just to buy an already cracked or even factory unlocked device.
Please note that "factory unlocked" means ready to root out of the box, but also telco-neutral (phone will work on any network with no plan required).

You can try non-root apps (like No-Root Firewall) with some degree of success, but keep in mind current advertising methods shifted from the plain "phone home" model to proxy traffic using system routines and encripted VPNs, not even root apps will block all the advertising/spycraft. Sync mode let the system and some apps turn on 3G/4G, phone home "just checking", turn it back off, and all wthout any hint.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  For IPTV for your Android Box RobertX 4 14,249 Mar 13, 2024, 13:01 pm
Last Post: RobertX
  TorrDroid for Android Phone medina_w 1 3,998 Aug 17, 2023, 09:04 am
Last Post: SectorVector
  Free or cheap SMS/Phone Number? FloodTheWaves 4 9,763 Apr 24, 2022, 06:02 am
Last Post: RobertX
  TV Control with Smart Speakers apk for Sony Android TV ephesus_1 3 9,399 Mar 04, 2022, 14:20 pm
Last Post: maskaw
  Streaming with VPN on Android TV FloodTheWaves 0 6,780 Feb 07, 2022, 11:12 am
Last Post: FloodTheWaves