Is this a good idea?
I was thinking that someone should marry torrents with crypto.    Basically a 'torrent' coin that can be mined by sharing torrents !  It might help rejuvinate the community !
I don't think so. I think that it was decided by the designers that data and information should be free for all time, so no-go.

EDIT: And if the authorities get wind that money is involved, regardless of phantom money or real money, they will turn the place into a ghost town faster than you can say "boo." The Pirate Bay, as you know, is already at the crosshairs of the authorities for some time, and this will give them all the advantage they need to press the nuke switch.

Remember, as absurd as it sounds, they want us all to know (or think) that piracy is not a victimless crime.
The idea is cool, but technically it is very difficult and resource-intensive
(Jan 13, 2024, 04:41 am)RobertX Wrote: I don't think so. I think  that it was decided by the designers that data and information should be free for all time, so no-go.

EDIT: And if the authorities get wind that money is involved, regardless of phantom money or real money, they will turn the place into a ghost town faster than you can say "boo." The Pirate Bay, as you know, is already at the crosshairs of the authorities for some time, and this will give them all the advantage  they need to press the nuke switch.

Remember, as absurd as it sounds, they want us all to know (or think) that piracy is not a victimless crime.

They're no where as concerned about piracy as they were 10 years ago.   As for torrents...  I'm probably one the few under 40 or not in the 3rd world who knows what they are.

I just think somehow merging torrents with crypto would really revitalize piracy.

(Jan 13, 2024, 07:51 am)SpoonyCz Wrote: The idea is cool, but technically it is very difficult and resource-intensive

Absolutely above my level of abilities
I think it's going to be chaotic
You can suggest it, but I don't think it is going to fly.

Even if the police aren't anally retentive, the goal of The Pirate Bay is the free dissemination of information and knowledge without let or hindrance of money whatsoever.

If you want an example, see the Private Torrents thread in General Discussion.
See:
https://www.bittorrent.com/token/btt
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rainberry,_Inc.
(Jan 13, 2024, 10:47 am)RobertX Wrote: You can suggest it, but I don't think it is going to fly.

Even if the police aren't anally retentive, the goal of The Pirate Bay is the free dissemination of information and knowledge without let or hindrance of money whatsoever.

If you want an example, see the Private Torrents thread in General Discussion.

It doesn't have to be The Pirate Bay and this would probably have to be something that works on the client side.

ie: People share a file using a torrent site and their computers can mine crypto based on how many times that file is shared.

(Jan 13, 2024, 11:48 am)SectorVector Wrote: See:
https://www.bittorrent.com/token/btt
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rainberry,_Inc.

Can you explain a little better what it is that I'm looking at?
I'm particularly interested in the stuff about BitTorrent Bundles for Publishers
(Jan 13, 2024, 12:26 pm)Ladyanne3 Wrote: It doesn't have to be The Pirate Bay and this would probably have to be something that works on the client side.

In that case, the sky's the limit! Good luck!
BTT (Bittorrent Token)
I don't know if i can explain it any better that what is already in that whitepaper on that site.
It basically states you earn BTT if you seed. Those can then be traded apparently. If you have a trading account, you could have a look.

The Wikipedia link was just to show the connection between Bittorrent and BTT.
If you chase the links you see both are controlled by one 'Justin Sun'.
I have no personal experience with BTT, but it seems alive.

It appears Bundles died slowly after 2015. No idea why, but could be due to lack of interest and other competing tech.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Commentary: Piracy is good, really RobertX 1 830 Feb 18, 2024, 17:52 pm
Last Post: Fawkesguy
  Peter Sunde / Brokep recent interview "No one does tech for good " ProxyDuck 7 1,838 Jan 29, 2024, 19:34 pm
Last Post: lustrous
  Movies So Good: "It'll Makes Ya Wanna Slap Your Momma!" TedDekker 3 2,463 Dec 31, 2023, 22:28 pm
Last Post: dickhead
  Just how good is a VPN at hiding your identity? Ladyanne3 21 18,037 Aug 22, 2022, 18:25 pm
Last Post: Slow Mo
  Good Torrenting Forums? FloodTheWaves 5 10,957 May 25, 2022, 05:10 am
Last Post: lavonsmiley