How to play 4k downloads on a TV what media player to use ?
Best at the moment for a Google certified / Netflix capable box is probably the Dune Homatics R 4K Plus.

Dolby Vision, Dolby Atmos True HD, DTS, AV1, VP9.2, HDR10+, HLG and runs CoreELEC if desired.

(Nvidia Shield can't do the last 5.)

Review:  Homatics Box R 4K Plus Review: Dolby Vision Certified Streamer (androidtvbox.eu)
(Dec 20, 2023, 18:15 pm)richto Wrote: AV1, VP9.2, HDR10+, HLG.

(Nvidia Shield can't do the last 4.)

Those features are not really something that would worry me in this day and age.  The fact  that the Shield has 2 x USB 3.0 ports blows the alternative out of the water.  Having 2 ports like that is essential for connectivity.  My vote still stands with the Sheild it has a very good OS and works well with most TVs.
(Dec 20, 2023, 18:30 pm)RodneyYouPlonker Wrote:

Those features are not really something that would worry me in this day and age.  The fact  that the Shield has 2 x USB 3.0 ports blows the alternative out of the water.  Having 2 ports like that is essential for connectivity.  My vote still stands with the Sheild it has a very good OS and works well with most TVs.

Lots of people want IPTV in HDR (HLG), and YouTube in 4K HDR (VP 9.2), AV1 hardware decoding (H265) and Amazon Video in enhanced HDR (HDR10+). The Shield hardware will never be able to do any of this.

And this has 1 x USB 3.2, 1 x USB 2.0 and WiFi 6.
(Dec 20, 2023, 18:33 pm)richto Wrote:
(Dec 20, 2023, 18:30 pm)RodneyYouPlonker Wrote:

Lots of people want IPTV in HDR (HLG), and YouTube in 4K HDR (VP 9.2), AV1 hardware decoding (H265) and Amazon Video in enhanced HDR (HDR10+). The Shield hardware will never be able to do any of this.

And this has 1 x USB 3.2, 1 x USB 2.0 and WiFi 6.

None of that really matters when you have a torrent site to download from and Kodi installed.  Wouldn't touch Amazon video with a 10 foot chicken feeder.  The whole point of having a box like the Shield is to use with Kodi because it's the best.  If you really want the latest and greatest for watching YouTube get the best TV money can buy and watch it on that instead...
I sold 4 x Shield Pros to replace with these because they are rather better. Shield is outdated now. Slow WiFi, and doesn't support too many essential modern specs.

And yes but IPTV too, and Shield can't do HDR for IPTV...

And I want one remote / interface for everything. Stuff having to switch to my TV menu and remote to use You Tube in 4K.
(Dec 20, 2023, 18:42 pm)richto Wrote: I sold 4 x Shield Pros to replace with these because they are rather better. Shield is outdated now. Slow WiFi, and doesn't support too many essential modern specs.

Well that's not important either because Wifi for starters, should be using an ethernet connection as it's way faster.  Not a fan personally of Wifi prefer all my equipment hard wired.  Second point is that if you want to watch HDR content then just buy the 4K discs as you can't Pirate it because you can't encode in HDR there's no software that can handle it so it's pointless.  You can't compress video with HDR so just buy the original if you want the full experience and play on a proper 4K player.  That's what I do and you get better picture that way overall.  Shield gets updates on a regular basis.  I wouldn't touch your alternative as all best reviews point to the Shield as the number 1 media streamer.  Go and do more research, I've read dozens of reviews and they all say the same...
(Dec 20, 2023, 18:48 pm)RodneyYouPlonker Wrote:
(Dec 20, 2023, 18:42 pm)richto Wrote: I sold 4 x Shield Pros to replace with these because they are rather better. Shield is outdated now. Slow WiFi, and doesn't support too many essential modern specs.

Well that's not important either because Wifi for starters, should be using an ethernet connection as it's way faster.  Not a fan personally of Wifi prefer all my equipment hard wired.  Second point is that if you want to watch HDR content then just buy the 4K discs as you can't Pirate it because you can't encode in HDR there's no software that can handle it so it's pointless.  You can't compress video with HDR so just buy the original if you want the full experience and play on a proper 4K player.  That's what I do and you get better picture that way overall.  Shield gets updates on a regular basis.  I wouldn't touch your alterative as all best reviews point to the Shield as the number 1 media streamer.  Go and do more research, I've read dozens of reviews and they all say the same...

IPTV as the name suggests is TV. It doesn't come on disks. I want to be able to stream say live EPL Football games in 4K HDR which requires HLG.

I hardly need to do research when I have owned both. If dated hardware does what you need then fine, but many will want those other things to work.
(Dec 20, 2023, 18:52 pm)richto Wrote: If dated hardware does what you need then fine, but many will want those other things to work.

Not everybody requires your needs. If you like it then fine, stick with it. Me on the other hand much prefer the Shield and have owned other previous boxes. The Shield just wins in a lot of areas. We're all different and I could only recommend that product because I've found that from using it, much better than earlier boxes and much better for playing rips and copies which normally would have problems. I found no issues at all with the Shield and found it super easy to work, overall a great bit of kit and only somebody like yourself would argue against my opinion. I don't see others sharing this view like I said you like your alternative then stick with it and move on..
(Dec 20, 2023, 18:58 pm)RodneyYouPlonker Wrote:
(Dec 20, 2023, 18:52 pm)richto Wrote: If dated hardware does what you need then fine, but many will want those other things to work.

Not everybody requires your needs.  If you like it then fine, stick with it.  Me on the other hand much prefer the Shield and have owned other previous boxes.  The Shield just wins in a lot of areas.  We're all different and I could only recommend that product because I've found that from using it, much better than earlier boxes and much better for playing rips and copies which normally would have problems.  I found no issues at all with the Shield and found it super easy to work, overall a great bit of kit and only somebody like yourself would argue against my opinion.  I don't see others sharing this view like I said you like your alternative then stick with it and move on..

Wins in a lot of areas like what? Had about 6 firmware updates in a year which is similar to the Shield for example. How would you know without having owned a newer box? And only someone that has actually used both you mean.

"much better than earlier boxes"  - well quite...

Oh also it comes with the Dune HD media player software which comes from the really high end Dune media boxes - play Blurays from disk images with menu for example. (This is the cheapest Dune box).
(Dec 20, 2023, 19:01 pm)richto Wrote:
(Dec 20, 2023, 18:58 pm)RodneyYouPlonker Wrote:

Not everybody requires your needs.  If you like it then fine, stick with it.  Me on the other hand much prefer the Shield and have owned other previous boxes.  The Shield just wins in a lot of areas.  We're all different and I could only recommend that product because I've found that from using it, much better than earlier boxes and much better for playing rips and copies which normally would have problems.  I found no issues at all with the Shield and found it super easy to work, overall a great bit of kit and only somebody like yourself would argue against my opinion.  I don't see others sharing this view like I said you like your alternative then stick with it and move on..

Wins in a lot of areas like what? Had about 6 firmware updates in a year which is similar to the Shield for example. How would you know without having owned a newer box? And only someone that has actually used both you mean.

"much better than earlier boxes"  - well quite...

Oh also it comes with the Dune HD software which comes from the really high end Dune media boxes. This is the cheapest.

I really don't care and it's possible I might be buying another box soon.  Just don't like the look of the one you suggest, not for my needs anyway.  It's a very personal preference and I've said this before previously that the choice of Android box is personal the person who uses it.  As I tried to explain to you.  Had owned lots of older style Android boxes and finally ended up on the Shield.  Noticed that earlier makes had lots of issues that wouldn't go away.  After moving to the Shield it does everything I ever wanted it to do plus fixed all my issues... Now I've found a box that works flawless why would I want to switch to another box when I've already found the best product?  That would be a dumb move...  I see recently the store here, the Shield has been flying off the shelves over Christmas more and more people turning to that product I say it's good for business.  Never noticed or heard of your brand before, never saw any reviews on it...

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Advice: How to use a travel router RobertX 0 1,864 Dec 17, 2023, 21:06 pm
Last Post: RobertX
  Editing recorded media yungskeleton 8 26,166 Mar 03, 2021, 16:20 pm
Last Post: BoxerLara
  NAS, media, torrenting. dueda 15 43,842 Mar 01, 2020, 04:45 am
Last Post: waregim
  M.2 Screws: When Would I Use Them? RobertX 3 19,831 Jun 12, 2019, 23:37 pm
Last Post: Moe
  Digital Media Players? doge 3 20,964 Sep 16, 2018, 03:58 am
Last Post: jerrysmatrix