How to get recorded videos to a decent filesize
(Jun 28, 2014, 21:24 pm)hireshi Wrote:
(Jun 28, 2014, 21:23 pm)thesnare Wrote:
(Jun 28, 2014, 21:20 pm)hireshi Wrote:
(Jun 28, 2014, 20:13 pm)RobertX Wrote: [quote='hireshi' pid='60479' dateline='1403996417']
I often download long movies, that are around 400mb and a bit blurry, run it through AVS, improve the aspect and the quality, then save it as 1080p HD (usually mpeg as that is the best), and I get a crystal clear image.

Hireshi, what is your processor speed and long does it take to encode it to the result you specified?

If I save it as mpeg, it usally takes around 2-4.5 hours (5-9 gig)
AVI about 30-50 minutes (2-3gig)

So, are you saying the movies you have are 400Mbs after you downsize them? I thought you were saying you download them when they are already 400mb. Anyway, that seems pretty long for downsizing a video from 5-9gig to 400mb

Quote:That's the time it takes me to convert them from around 400mb > HD.

400Mb > (greater than?) HD? I'm confused.
(Jun 28, 2014, 21:26 pm)thesnare Wrote:
(Jun 28, 2014, 21:24 pm)hireshi Wrote:
(Jun 28, 2014, 21:23 pm)thesnare Wrote:
(Jun 28, 2014, 21:20 pm)hireshi Wrote:
(Jun 28, 2014, 20:13 pm)RobertX Wrote: [quote='hireshi' pid='60479' dateline='1403996417']
I often download long movies, that are around 400mb and a bit blurry, run it through AVS, improve the aspect and the quality, then save it as 1080p HD (usually mpeg as that is the best), and I get a crystal clear image.

Hireshi, what is your processor speed and long does it take to encode it to the result you specified?

If I save it as mpeg, it usally takes around 2-4.5 hours (5-9 gig)
AVI about 30-50 minutes (2-3gig)

So, are you saying the movies you have are 400Mbs after you downsize them? I thought you were saying you download them when they are already 400mb. Anyway, that seems pretty long for downsizing a video from 5-9gig to 400mb

Quote:That's the time it takes me to convert them from around 400mb > HD.

400Mb > (greater than?) HD? I'm confused.

Sorry sir if I'm being incoherent. 400 mb to HD (hd is between 2-9gig) it varies on the .type and the length of the video.
(Jun 28, 2014, 21:17 pm)hireshi Wrote: Why didn't you just post this in your previous thread?

Thought this would make it more visible
(Jun 28, 2014, 20:46 pm)thesnare Wrote: Here's what I have.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mygica-Ezgrabber...B0036UUST4

Your link is a broken re-direct?
To convert the files you'll need to get them to your pc and encode them using an x264 encoder such as Handbrake or MeGui. Handbrake is good for beginners.

The rips you linked to by KILLERS use the x264 video codec and the AAC audio codec. KILLERS abides by the 'scene' standards, a set of rules for encoding video and audio.

For standard definition tv, scene groups use the 'constant rate factor' (crf) setting in x264. Utilising crf allows x264 to strip away perceptually unnecessary details from a frame whilst maintaining a constant visual quality. The scene rules for standard definition tv encoding permit constant rate factors with settings between 19 and 24. With crf, lower settings give better image quality but with larger file sizes, and vice versa.

There are many guides for handbrake and megui floating around the web. x264 is a pretty massive learning curve but it's a fun toy and you got to start somewhere.
OP - In future, bump your thread instead of creating a new one for the same topic.

Threads merged.
/mod.
gcjm: I need to confirm something: A video codec would be x264 correct? If so, would a container be AVI/MKV? If so, is this why I see many torrents with the acronyms "MKV" and "x264?"

Just wondering.
(Jun 29, 2014, 02:41 am)RobertX Wrote: A video codec would be x264 correct? If so, would a container be AVI/MKV? If so, is this why I see many torrents with the acronyms "MKV" and "x264?"

You're correct. I'd guess the uploaders are simply being specific, considering some folks prefer mp4 over mkv, or vice versa. The 'norm' (based on scene) is to label the codecs not the container.

wait, did I just assist an off topic?
>>
<<
Where's op when you need them?
Well, I was wondering if I could some more specific information because it seems like there are a lot variables involved in what kind of video quality you will get, such as (In this case recording it from your TV to computer, or from your DVR after you've recorded it on that)

1. The TV you're using
2. The capture device you are using
3. What mode you are using to capture the video from your device to computer (composite, component, S-video, HDMI, etc)
4. Once you have the video recorded to your computer, which software you use to compress it- and whether it's lossy/lossless etc.

I was wondering if anyone here is capturing from their tv, and what you are using in your case- if you are getting good video.

(Jun 28, 2014, 21:38 pm)-nelly- Wrote:

Try this

http://www.meritline.com/mygica-ezgrabbe...41210.aspx
(Jul 04, 2014, 21:49 pm)thesnare Wrote: Well, I was wondering if I could some more specific information because it seems like there are a lot variables involved in what kind of video quality you will get, such as (In this case recording it from your TV to computer, or from your DVR after you've recorded it on that)

1. The TV you're using
2. The capture device you are using
3. What mode you are using to capture the video from your device to computer (composite, component, S-video, HDMI, etc)
4. Once you have the video recorded to your computer, which software you use to compress it- and whether it's lossy/lossless etc.

I was wondering if anyone here is capturing from their tv, and what you are using in your case- if you are getting good video.

(Jun 28, 2014, 21:38 pm)-nelly- Wrote:

Try this

http://www.meritline.com/mygica-ezgrabbe...41210.aspx

if anyone knows, did a search to see if you aren't supposed to bump threads, couldn't find anything

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Need to Download Videos "Not in My Region" RobertX 10 23,689 Apr 17, 2023, 06:06 am
Last Post: RobertX
  Which release of Mr. Robot S02E06 should I get? nautilus 4 18,395 Aug 11, 2016, 20:26 pm
Last Post: Sid