How do you mess it up this bad?
(Jun 13, 2024, 22:02 pm)Dr. Nobody Wrote: Just in my opinion, Doctor Mordred was one of the most hilarious episodes of any season ever. Right up there with, Riding With Death.

I really enjoyed it too.  Gonna go re-watch Riding With Death now.
(Jun 13, 2024, 00:08 am)alansmithee99 Wrote: Cool opinion. Definitely not tired and repetitive. Definitely not a conversation I'm sick of seeing on these boards.

Doesn't make it any less true
The show fell off a cliff after season 10. I can remember all the songs that they ever did during the regular run. Honestly, of all the songs in the Netflix era, there's only one that I still remember. Everything else was completely forgettable. At least I watched all of the Netflix episodes, only once though. I gave up halfway through the Gizmoplex season because I had zero interest in any of it. I don't think that Jonah is all that funny, even though I like him generally as an actor and the Gizmoplex is just... bad. That's my opinion, you're welcome to your own, but I'm sticking to it. Apparently, given the fact that the Kickstarter failed, I'm not alone in this.
(Jun 14, 2024, 21:13 pm)I Want To Go Faster Wrote:
(Jun 13, 2024, 22:02 pm)Dr. Nobody Wrote: Just in my opinion, Doctor Mordred was one of the most hilarious episodes of any season ever. Right up there with, Riding With Death.

I really enjoyed it too.  Gonna go re-watch Riding With Death now.

Riding with Death is top 3 imho.  The energy during the early episodes were awesome.  Parts:  The clonus horror was great, too.
It's an extremely unpopular opinion, but I think Rifftrax also had been sagging lately.  There's something cynical that the original MST3K didn't have.  The charm for me is when riffers are engaging with the movie and adding to it, rather than constantly tearing it down.  I don't need to be reminded that the movie is bad, that the riffers don't want to be watching it, or references/memes that are defunct a month after the joke is made.  The original series had plenty of examples of these, and those jokes didn't generally hit either, and they were far fewer in number.  Something doesn't make sense when a sixty-year-old Kevin makes an obscure video game reference.
(Jun 22, 2024, 16:01 pm)twothoughts Wrote: It's an extremely unpopular opinion, but I think Rifftrax also had been sagging lately.  There's something cynical that the original MST3K didn't have.  The charm for me is when riffers are engaging with the movie and adding to it, rather than constantly tearing it down.  I don't need to be reminded that the movie is bad, that the riffers don't want to be watching it, or references/memes that are defunct a month after the joke is made.  The original series had plenty of examples of these, and those jokes didn't generally hit either, and they were far fewer in number.  Something doesn't make sense when a sixty-year-old Kevin makes an obscure video game reference.

That's nothing new.  Rifftrax has always been a bit more cynical and aggressive.  They've actually gone back and edited a few jokes out of some older riffs because they were too aggressive against the actors.  Also, I may be in the minority, but the Star Wars prequel riffs from ages ago kinda suck.  So much of them is barely more than "This sure is bad, isn't it?  Yep, so bad.  Man, this sucks."

For what it's worth, I think Rifftrax is still generally very good, but when you're releasing content every week of the year, you're not always going to have the best source material to work from each and every week.  And also, I think more of the writing is being done by the younger writers at Rifftrax these days, anyway.  It's not bad, but it's certainly going to have a different perspective.
has 'pet sematary' taught us nothing?
" The person you put up there ain't the person that comes back. It may look like that person, but it ain't that person."
-herman munster
(Jun 23, 2024, 13:38 pm)raymond marble Wrote: has 'pet sematary' taught us nothing?
" The person you put up there ain't the person that comes back. It may look like that person, but it ain't that person."
-herman munster

lol  Big Grin Big Grin

There are so many ShoutTV / YouTube MST3K / Rifftrax marathons on these days that I just put them on a continuous loop and don't worry about what's better.

In the words of Monty Python "lets not bicker and argue about who killed who"
It was like the episode of Community where Pierce hires comedy writers to give him Riffs, and he fires them off like a machine gun.

So, I'm totally in agreement with you here. There are few times when the original casts go rapid fire, but it works for that moment. Space Mutiny being the prime example.
(Jun 25, 2024, 20:35 pm)azazel999 Wrote: It was like the episode of Community where Pierce hires comedy writers to give him Riffs, and he fires them off like a machine gun.

So, I'm totally in agreement with you here.  There are few times when the original casts go rapid fire, but it works for that moment.  Space Mutiny being the prime example.

As i mentioned in my Cry Wilderness thread, the difference is "multiple riffs, same bit" of the stuff like Space Mutiny and "3 different bits back to back" that we saw with Season 11's earlier episodes. They definitely learned quick as even the later Season 11 episodes slow it down, but it just felt like whoever was in charge what what riffs made it in didnt want to cut stuff and as a result the episodes are overstuffed and hard to keep up with. People can keep up with rapid fire riffs when they are referencing the same thing, or a play on the same gag. But when they are literally just 3 completely independent riffs said in quick succession you cant even process the first gag by the time the 3rd one finishes. I actually edited Cry Wilderness down a bit to give some of the better riffs room to breathe

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What's your favorite "bad" movie? SuperLake 36 4,068 May 13, 2024, 05:29 am
Last Post: Meat Trademark
  The Bad Pack (blu-ray upgrade) billythefist 4 2,066 Jan 26, 2024, 15:36 pm
Last Post: jhs39
  [REQ] The Bad Pack Otrader 2 2,668 Dec 04, 2023, 11:05 am
Last Post: Otrader
  The Bad Pack! Taddghostal 13 11,492 Apr 14, 2023, 00:37 am
Last Post: ZapmeRowsdower
  He Sees You When You're Sleeping - Bridget & Mary Jo Torgo 8 10,723 Dec 13, 2021, 10:07 am
Last Post: Riffling