Hidding a URL
I've got WAMP sever running on my home computer and I'm hoping to use it for videos embedded in a web page.

The IP address of the server is part of the URL.    Does anyone know of a way to obfuscate it?
Obtain a domain/subdomain, you can use free DDNS services as well, I've used freedns.afraid.org one time to host a specific page under separate URL, other than my primary one
(May 28, 2022, 06:25 am)rezwaki Wrote: Obtain a domain/subdomain, you can use free DDNS services as well, I've used freedns.afraid.org one time to host a specific page under separate URL, other than my primary one

That's a really interesting looking service.   Can you explain to me how this works?    I'm not too sure that I have a full grasp of it.
Well, basically what is the purpose of URL it's that a web-site having the URL would be easily-accessbiel, cuz URL consisting of letters (thus may contain words, names, etc) is easy to remember, unlike a bunch of numbers that an IP consists of

There are DNS servers that return to the client (you) an IP address by which your browser can find the web-site, in response to the URL you entered

URL aka domain-name/domain
(May 29, 2022, 03:01 am)rezwaki Wrote: Well, basically what is the purpose of URL it's that a web-site having the URL would be easily-accessbiel, cuz URL consisting of letters (thus may contain words, names, etc) is easy to remember, unlike a bunch of numbers that an IP consists of

There are DNS servers that return to the client (you) an IP address by which your browser can find the web-site, in response to the URL you entered

Ok I'm not a very smart individual so let me make sure that I'm understanding this.

I should be able to give freedns the IP address of my wep server and a domain name.   It will then associate that domain with my wep server's IP.  In that way my IP is hidden from the general public. 

(unless they search a doman to ip site... but the majority of people don't know about that.)
(May 29, 2022, 10:08 am)Ladyanne3 Wrote:
(May 29, 2022, 03:01 am)rezwaki Wrote: Well, basically what is the purpose of URL it's that a web-site having the URL would be easily-accessbiel, cuz URL consisting of letters (thus may contain words, names, etc) is easy to remember, unlike a bunch of numbers that an IP consists of

Ok I'm not a very smart individual so let me make sure that I'm understanding this.

I should be able to give freedns the IP address of my wep server and a domain name.   It will then associate that domain with my wep server's IP.  In that way my IP is hidden from the general public. 

(unless they search a doman to ip site... but the majority of people don't know about that.)
Yes you are correct, only your Ip address will be still easy-to-find, for instance you can just ping your web-site via Windows CMD shell (or any web-site), in response you will receive the ip address along with other net info
ex ping google.com
[Image: ping_google.png]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Wondering about tracker URL's rick92 1 12,050 Mar 28, 2015, 21:16 pm
Last Post: Hary1946
  How to get Pbays RSS feed url's..... Guitarfiend 3 12,995 Oct 25, 2014, 21:36 pm
Last Post: Guitarfiend
  Add website URL to description? Xtorm 1 11,640 Sep 03, 2014, 15:10 pm
Last Post: Q91