FreeDVDBoot not working on an unmodified PS2 Slim
Today, I headed to a store and bought a PS2 slim system in hopes that I can use it to play patched PS2 backups on it, and yes, it was apparently capable.

But to my disappointment, it didn't do the job.

I've tried many things that were suggested, but were met in vain.

Below is a list of workarounds that I tried:
  • burn using CDBurnerXP with a 1x speed
  • play a legit DVD movie (it can't play burnt DVD movies)
  • turn on Diagnostic Mode
  • burn at low and mid speeds
  • use Verbatim AZO discs to patch games
  • use Jabu to patch games
  • try FreeDVDBoot (this should have worked, but not detected)
Do keep in mind that a burnt DVD copy of FreeDVDBoot was supposed to work on an unmodded PS2, that was the point.

Apparently, the PS2 went out of its way to refuse all burnt stuff, burnt games, burnt movies, FreeDVDBoot, and burnt games made by the Jabu patcher. No dice.

I don't think I have a good enough case to return the item back to the store, seeing as that it will boot retail PS2 games, and seeing as that it only comes with a warranty.

I'll try other methods while I post this, but much help is needed.
Okay, I'm going to take a wild stab in the dark for you...

When I modded my PS2 years ago, I got it all working and it was good.  I modded it myself, if I remember correctly, though can't be sure as this was years ago and I have done millions of things since then.  From what I remember it might be possible that when I purchased my PS2 mod, I infact did notice that the mod wasn't compatible with a PS2 slim but just the normal regular PS2 instead.  Please don't quote me on this as it is many moons ago.  I remember I bought my mod from Scotland of all places and it was on ebay and it had good instructions and a disc to cheat the drive code.

Yes I did open my PS2 and I modded it myself you have to be careful as there's an electric shock caution.  I was highly careful myself and I put it back together and it worked just fine.  Did use it many times to play copied games it was good sadly I don't use it now as the connection is Scart and nobody plugs into a TV like that anymore now it's all HDMI etc.. I still have my modded PS2 and I'm sure it still works fine I did copy lots of games and I had my favourites.

If the Slim as so to speak doesn't work with a mod chip then may I suggest taking it back to the store where you got it and giving it back and getting a regular normal size one instead to replace it.

You should look on ebay in Canada or USA and see what there is.  If you break it and don't mod successfully then it's an expensive learning lesson one which I wouldn't recommend personally but if you really are determined then fair enough but don't say I didn't warn you.  Incorrect installment then I'm afraid it's back to the drawing board like most things.  In life we live and learn, if it happens a first time we move forward to learn to correct things the second time and so on.

If you've only just bought it and you bought it online then you have 14 days to return it.  You do have that here in the UK.  If you went into a store and bought it there then you've gotta argue it out with the store worker and try and convince them you don't want it and for them to take it back.
No disrespect, RodneyYouPlonker, but I am not going to insert a modchip on the PS2.

The next exploit does not require a modification, as the impression goes, and that's the point.

I guess I can go back to the store without making use of a warranty and get a trade for another one.

As far as I know, the thing is not borked, it's just not using burnt stuff, but when I use retail media, like my Royal Rumble 2005 DVD, it plays them.

I imagine, that even without a warranty, or a refund, I can get a trade for another PS2 with the only caveat being that I just need to pay a little extra. If I have to pay more than the money I paid for that console, then fuck them, I'll get it sold privately.
I've just found this video:

I just started to watch this a bit at the beginning does this not work for you?
I know how to do that. I always watch MrMario11's videos, but thanks.

The problem is, nothing i burnt boots off my PS2.
I noticed the other day that looking at exactly how you install a mod into a PS2 Slim, it's much more advanced than what I did with my regular PS2.  The Slim just seems so compact inside, saw that people were putting them directly onto the main board it was very advanced something that only an expert would do.  Mine was more like a bypass kind of mod where you just disconnected a plug and inserted the mod in that way, just a simple plug in between so and so and that was it.  I know you don't want to do that but like I said before it worked for me so that's why I mentioned it.  Maybe best then to take it back and sell it or whatever if you don't want it.  If like in the video I suggested, that doesn't work then I don't know what to suggest.  Sounds like all ideas are exhausted then, I am interested in all this stuff Robert as I like to fix things I've done all this for years on PCs and I'm pretty darn good at all that stuff.

Sorry I can't help you, I guess it's all trial and error really when it comes down to it.
It's all right, RodneyYouPlonker. You tried.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Steam to stop working on Win 7 and 8, preparation help? e48wh8 21 13,441 May 22, 2023, 00:06 am
Last Post: RobertX
  You can boot burnt DVDs on a PS2 without a modchip RobertX 3 14,892 Sep 14, 2020, 12:07 pm
Last Post: RipSHA1
  Non of CS:GO working if no SATA Disk Attached XTTF 0 10,216 Mar 08, 2020, 03:27 am
Last Post: XTTF
  Vote Ps2 Harry Potter and Kingdom Hearts on Ps4 Scooters 0 11,226 Dec 17, 2015, 14:35 pm
Last Post: Scooters
  Burned PS2 games cannot be cheated? jaffer 5 16,353 Nov 15, 2015, 01:15 am
Last Post: bob5695