Four US senators sold millions in stocks ahead of coronavirus market crash
Senate Intelligence Committee Chairman Richard Burr, Republican of North Carolina, sold as much as $1.7 million in stocks just before the market dropped in February amid fears about the coronavirus outbreak, Senate records show.

Several other senators sold big stock stakes around the same time, Senate records reveal.

The documents show that Burr and his wife sold between roughly $600,000 and $1.7 million in 33 separate transactions in late January and mid-February, just before the market began to fall and as government health officials began to issue stark warnings about the effects of the virus. Several of the stocks were in companies that own hotels.

Burr's stock sales were first reported by ProPublica and The Center for Responsive Politics. Most of them came on Feb. 13, just before Burr made a speech in his home state in which he predicted severe consequences from the virus, including closed schools and cutbacks in company travel, according to audio obtained by National Public Radio and released Thursday.

NPR said Burr told a small North Carolina audience the virus was "much more aggressive in its transmission than anything that we have seen in recent history" and "probably more akin to the 1918 pandemic."

Burr's remarks were more dire than remarks he had made publicly and came as President Trump was still downplaying the severity of the virus.

There's no indication that Burr had any inside information as he sold the stocks and issued the private warnings.

It's illegal for members of Congress to trade stocks based on information the public doesn't have that they receive through their positions as lawmakers. Burr was among only three senators who voted against that measure in 2012.

The Associated Press cited a person familiar with the matter as saying the intelligence panel didn't have any briefings on the pandemic the week when most of the stocks were sold. The person declined to be identified to discuss confidential committee activity.

But at the time the panel was being briefed daily about the coronavirus outbreak, the Reuters news service reported.

A spokesperson for the senator told CBS News in a statement that Burr "filed a financial disclosure form for personal transactions made several weeks before the U.S. and financial markets showed signs of volatility due to the growing coronavirus outbreak. As the situation continues to evolve daily, he has been deeply concerned by the steep and sudden toll this pandemic is taking on our economy." The spokesperson declined to be identified in order to share the senator's thinking.

Burr released a statement on Twitter Friday morning saying he "relied solely on public news reports to guide my decision regarding the sale of stocks on February 13."

"Understanding the assumption many could make in hindsight however, I spoke this morning with the chairman of the Senate Ethics Committee and asked him to open a complete review of the matter with full transparency," Burr continued.

Burr wasn't the only senator who sold stocks just before the steep decline due to the global pandemic.

Georgia's Kelly Loeffler and her husband sold millions of dollars worth of stock in late January and early February as senators began to get briefings on the virus, also according to Senate records. In the weeks that followed, Loeffler urged her constituents to have faith in the Trump administration's efforts to prepare the nation.

The Daily Beast first reported that Loeffler sold the stock "on Jan. 24, the very day that her committee, the Senate Health Committee, hosted a private, all-senators briefing from administration officials."

Loeffler tweeted Thursday night that she was "informed of these purchases and sales on February 16, 2020 — three weeks after they were made." She also said, "This is a ridiculous and baseless attack. I do not make investment decisions for my portfolio. Investment decisions are made by multiple third-party advisors without my or my husband's knowledge or involvement."

She's married to Jeffrey Sprecher, the chairman and CEO of Intercontinental Exchange, which owns the New York Stock Exchange.

Loeffler, a Republican, is the Senate's newest member. She was sworn in on January 6 to replace Senator Johnny Isakson, who retired. She was appointed by Georgia Governor Brian Kemp and is up for re-election this year.

In addition to Burr and Loeffler, California Democratic Senator Dianne Feinstein sold $1.5 million to $6 million worth of shares in late and mid-February, Senate records show.

However, Feinstein denied that this movement had anything to do with concerns about the coronavirus.

"During my Senate career I've held all assets in a blind trust of which I have no control. Reports that I sold any assets are incorrect, as are reports that I was at a January 24 briefing on coronavirus, which I was unable to attend," Feinstein tweeted.

She said that Senate rules also require her to report her husband's financial transactions. "I have no input into his decisions," she tweeted. "My husband in January and February sold shares of a cancer therapy company. This company is unrelated to any work on the coronavirus and the sale was unrelated to the situation."

Oklahoma Republican Senator James Inhofe sold as much as $400,000 in equities on January 27, disclosure reports show.

Inhofe said in a statement that allegations that he sold equities in response to the January 24 briefing were "completely baseless and 100 percent false."

At the Capitol Friday, he was asked by a reporter whether he had provided his financial adviser with any information on the coronavirus briefings.

"No," he replied, adding, "I was not at the meeting that was the controversial meeting." Inhofe's office confirmed that he had not attended the January 24 coronavirus briefing by top Trump administration officials.

Inhofe also said that once he became the chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee over a year ago, he directed his investment adviser to "get rid of all stocks that we have — put it in mutual funds —no one can argue with that." Inhofe spokeswoman Leacy Burke told CBS News in an email that in December 2018, Inhofe instructed his financial adviser to move his investments from stocks to mutual funds in order to prevent any appearance of impropriety

At the Capitol, Inhofe was asked, "You did not direct the sale of any of these stocks?" He said, "I did not," and then offered the name of his adviser, "Keith," of whom Inhofe said, "he knows the instructions that were given, and he's been following those instructions for years." According to Burke, Inhofe's financial adviser does not consult or inform the senator of any transactions that are made. The "instructions" entailed only the direction to change from stocks to funds, were not for specific sales.

Since these senators sold their stocks, the markets have contracted nearly 30%.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/richard-bur...s-started/

https://www.ibtimes.com/four-senators-so...sh-2943596

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Maintaining seized Russian assets could cost taxpayers millions: Report Resurgence 0 5,034 Nov 07, 2022, 12:19 pm
Last Post: Resurgence
  EU meat giants use vague schemes to evade millions in taxes, reports suggest Resurgence 0 5,161 Nov 06, 2022, 12:15 pm
  Italy: Mortgage payments suspended during coronavirus lockdown Resurgence 1 11,585 Jul 12, 2022, 08:08 am
Last Post: Bohet
  Nepal decides not to move ahead with security partnership with Washington Resurgence 0 6,011 Jun 26, 2022, 00:31 am
  Opium sold in Afghan markets despite Taliban ban pledge Resurgence 0 5,458 Jun 23, 2022, 01:08 am