First ever warning, no privacy protection, made me think twice
Or just look at the other thread about VPN's?

https://pirates-forum.org/Thread-Which-V...-Seriously
I asked live chat on nordVPN, she said they do exactly the same thing. OpenVPN is just a manual way to connect through their VPN, NordVPN does the same thing but comes with a nicer interface which makes it easier to manage, though its up to me which way I want to connect. Neither is better or worse as they both serve the same functions.
I'll stick with NordVPN then, seeing as thats what I paid for, I turned all the features on as well so should be using it to its full extent with Cyber Sec and App Kill Switch enabled
Thought I would add a little update to this thread of mine,
I have just requested a refund on this NordVPN as I am still within their 30 day money back guarantee period.

Been using it on PC and on my Android phone, firstly on the Android too frequently since using NordVPN my internet has stalled for a good few minutes which doesnt sound like much but is frustrating at the time, leading me to disconnect from the VPN to continue what I was trying to do
Secondly on PC, not as often but similar issue. Seem to be at an increased risk of connection related issues now that its not just my ISP I rely on but also NordVPN also, latency in games as increased by almost double my usual, browsing can often feel sluggish compared to without NordVPN

So for past few days I have disabled NordVPN and been using both my phone and PC without, with the idea of just enabling NordVPN for specific situations such as downloading from torrents etc, though in reality I really dont do that too often, so paying $99 seemed a huge waste of money all of a sudden for me
newfags stealing and no vpn is same for robbing and no mask
you get what you deserve
(Feb 25, 2018, 18:01 pm)joew771 Wrote: I've gotten 2 DMCA notices in the past 3 months, passed on from my ISP. And you know what happened? Nothing. I don't know how SKY deals with that sort of thing, but mine doesn't care that much. You know why? Because if they cancelled everyone from thier service who illegally downloaded, they would lose millions of dollars.

You like to ride on the edge of danger, do you?
(Mar 13, 2018, 01:23 am)dstruct Wrote: Thought I would add a little update to this thread of mine,
I have just requested a refund on this NordVPN as I am still within their 30 day money back guarantee period.

Been using it on PC and on my Android phone, firstly on the Android too frequently since using NordVPN my internet has stalled for a good few minutes which doesnt sound like much but is frustrating at the time, leading me to disconnect from the VPN to continue what I was trying to do
Secondly on PC, not as often but similar issue. Seem to be at an increased risk of connection related issues now that its not just my ISP I rely on but also NordVPN also, latency in games as increased by almost double my usual, browsing can often feel sluggish compared to without NordVPN

So for past few days I have disabled NordVPN and been using both my phone and PC without, with the idea of just enabling NordVPN for specific situations such as downloading from torrents etc, though in reality I really dont do that too often, so paying $99 seemed a huge waste of money all of a sudden for me

NordVPN is slow as shit! On top of that if you just connect to a country on their app they do not connect you to the lowest load ip. You have to double click the country and then skim through the list to the ip with the least load. I unfortunately found out how crap they are after the refund period... 

If you torrent alot look into feralhosting. You get a torrent client on a server in dutchy land, fast speeds, no dmca nonsense and they give you a vpn service on top of it all.
(Mar 13, 2018, 08:38 am)Sr_Soil Wrote:
(Mar 13, 2018, 01:23 am)dstruct Wrote: Thought I would add a little update to this thread of mine,

NordVPN is slow as shit! On top of that if you just connect to a country on their app they do not connect you to the lowest load ip. You have to double click the country and then skim through the list to the ip with the least load. I unfortunately found out how crap they are after the refund period... 

If you torrent alot look into feralhosting. You get a torrent client on a server in dutchy land, fast speeds, no dmca nonsense and they give you a vpn service on top of it all.

Unless Im looking at the wrong thing, that seems very expensive, sounds like you would be renting an actual dedicated server box? Probably overkill for what I need.
From my experience with NordVPN, seeing as that was one of the better rated ones on several sources, including this website and other top 10 tech reviewers etc, I can only imagine to encounter similar performance decreases when using a VPN and when my current internet connection is already below average, I cannot afford anything to worsen it, I am ADSL2 - 15mb/s down - 1.2mb/s up, so yeah I do feel the difference quite drastically unfortunately.

I will probably venture down other routes, perhaps a newsgroup service as I believe they are more secure than torrents, I dont do anything 'that naughty' anyway, more frequently for me is just the occassional movie from pirate bay. I could probably get away with not changing anything anyway and continue as I have for the last 10 years, thats the first warning ive ever received and to my understanding that isnt even an official warning anyway, and If I remember rightly, you must receive a formal written warning first prior to being prosecuted for downloading copyrighted material, ( I am sure I read about that some years ago when the goverment decided to hammer down on internet piracy)
With feralhosting you get a shared server, so it is close to impossible to know who on the server actually downloaded the file. Their vpn also can utilitize all of your internet connect the majority of the time. But if you don’t torrent alot it is a bit expensive. You can find shared servers that are €5 a month you just need to make sure they allow public trackers.

Newsgroups (usenet) have got rather expensive now as well. I used to get access for free back in the dialup days. I have UsenetServers, they have good retention but costs about $100 per year. I have also heard about Frugal Usenet, not tried them but they are half the price. Then you need an indexer to find stuff, a couple are free (check reddit) but the majority of those limit how many nzb’s you can download before having to pay a small fee.

For a stand alone vpn PIA would be the cheapest. Their speeds are ok if you connect to somewhere close by. You could also try AirVPN they cost a bit more but I found them faster then PIA and alot faster then NordVPN. You can ask for a free trial from them to see how it works for you.
(Mar 13, 2018, 16:24 pm)Sr_Soil Wrote: With feralhosting you get a shared server, so it is close to impossible to know who on the server actually downloaded the file. Their vpn also can utilitize all of your internet connect the majority of the time. But if you don’t torrent alot it is a bit expensive. You can find shared servers that are €5 a month you just need to make sure they allow public trackers.

Newsgroups (usenet) have got rather expensive now as well. I used to get access for free back in the dialup days. I have UsenetServers, they have good retention but costs about $100 per year. I have also heard about Frugal Usenet, not tried them but they are half the price. Then you need an indexer to find stuff, a couple are free (check reddit) but the majority of those limit how many nzb’s you can download before having to pay a small fee.

For a stand alone vpn PIA would be the cheapest. Their speeds are ok if you connect to somewhere close by. You could also try AirVPN they cost a bit more but I found them faster then PIA and alot faster then NordVPN. You can ask for a free trial from them to see how it works for you.

Done abit of digging, according to https://thatoneprivacysite.net/vpn-comparison-chart/ and by my budget of approx £5 a month, these are the best VPN's

https://airvpn.org/
https://mullvad.net/en/
https://cryptostorm.is/
https://www.blackvpn.com/checkout/privacy/

I want a comfortable monthly payment of around £5 rather than pay a big sum for 1-3 years, just more convienent for me

Guess I should just get the absolute cheapest option really, as ideally I only need to use it for torrenting, as was willing to pay similar price for a usenet provider but after playing around I dont think usenets are for me, they're awkward... I find torrents much easier as thats what I am used too

Out of those I know they are all very secure and private according to that first website, but it says nothing about speed and performance, that is my next to do research
(Mar 13, 2018, 21:13 pm)dstruct Wrote: Out of those I know they are all very secure and private according to that first website, but it says nothing about speed and performance, that is my next to do research

Try looking at how many locations they have, and what options are available at your tier.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apple is tracking you even when its own privacy settings say it’s not Resurgence 4 11,335 Nov 11, 2023, 06:54 am
Last Post: lustrous
  Italian data protection authority strikes another major blow to Google Analytics Resurgence 0 10,192 Jun 24, 2022, 00:29 am
Last Post: Resurgence
  US: Twitter to pay $150m fine to resolve data privacy violations Resurgence 0 10,269 May 29, 2022, 00:52 am
  US: Tech industry groups are watering down attempts at privacy regulation Resurgence 0 8,716 May 27, 2022, 00:41 am
  Italy: Privacy authority fines Clearview AI €20M, orders biometrics deletion Resurgence 0 12,582 Mar 12, 2022, 01:04 am