Facebook Is Tracking When You Write Something... And Then Decide To Delete It ...
We've all done it. You type something into Facebook and are all set to post it as a status update or a comment to someone else... and then your common sense takes over, and you realize that posting it would probably be a mistake. You were either about to post something fairly stupid, controversial or just ranty... and realized that, after taking a few breaths, life would probably be better for everyone if no one ever saw your words. Personally, when this has happened to me, it feels a bit cathartic. You were still able to type out what was in your brain... but no one ever had to see it. Or did they? According to a new report, Facebook is closely tracking and analyzing such "self-censorship" in order to figure out ways to encourage you to post anyway. While the company claims it's not actually looking at the actual text, it could do so, and is certainly looking at the situations in which you self-censor, trying to help you speed right by that little hesitation known as "thinking better of it":
Quote: Why does Facebook care anyway? Das and Kramer argue that self-censorship can be bad because it withholds valuable information. If someone chooses not to post, they claim, "[Facebook] loses value from the lack of content generation." After all, Facebook shows you ads based on what you post. Furthermore, they argue that it’s not fair if someone decides not to post because he doesn't want to spam his hundreds of friends—a few people could be interested in the message. "Consider, for example, the college student who wants to promote a social event for a special interest group, but does not for fear of spamming his other friends—some of who may, in fact, appreciate his efforts,” they write.
Right. But what about the other situation where someone is about to post something that is going to make a lot of people miserable. Aren't we all better off in those cases when the "self-censorship" brain cells kick in? Facebook might not think so, but I imagine that an awful lot of people would disagree.

source

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Plagiarism and You(Tube) lustrous 3 1,113 Jan 21, 2024, 11:59 am
Last Post: lustrous
  Tracking Aircraft WW3hasstarted 2 6,308 Jan 04, 2023, 23:03 pm
Last Post: WW3hasstarted
  explain something to me please Ladyanne3 14 17,439 Apr 30, 2022, 13:55 pm
Last Post: Ladyanne3
  what search term do I use to find something to learn Arab LadyAnn 12 26,564 Oct 07, 2021, 16:51 pm
Last Post: waregim
  TPG has gotten cleaner, did something happen? piratenuts 2 11,365 Apr 11, 2021, 15:24 pm
Last Post: waregim