FLAC is a waste of space
(Nov 26, 2018, 14:55 pm)neanderthal Wrote: why would anyone burn a CD in this day and age? 

Your question is as dumb as why would anybody these days walk into a store on the high street and purchase one?

The Answer is "because they can".
(Nov 26, 2018, 15:30 pm)RodneyYouPlonker Wrote:
(Nov 26, 2018, 14:55 pm)neanderthal Wrote: why would anyone burn a CD in this day and age? 

Your question is as dumb as why would anybody these days walk into a store on the high street and purchase one?

The Answer is "because they can".

Alright.  I didn't think people bought CD's anymore.  I just figured everyone downloads their music whether they pay for it or not.  I haven't played a CD in a coon's age.  I might have an old CD player lying around somewhere, and I could play one on the DVD drive in my computer, but there is no reason for me to, so I don't think about them.
CDs are like vinyls and at some point USB will also disappear. But people keep using them wither because not everything is transposed to a new format or just "sentimental value". I liked MDs and cassette tapes, they looked good with the colored transparent cases, but time goes on...
I don't buy CD's anymore, but I do burn "mix" cd's like we used to do with cassettes in the 80's.

I can't burn FLAC to a disc with what I have, so I chop it down from FLAC to 320 as MP3... my meek system can't tell, but I know I have a CD quality disc!

Most peoples cars have only CD and cassette players. I like flac because burning it to CD quality keeps you from thinking you are listening to the song from the other end of a long and windy tunnel...
Good arguments in this.. I myself have a collection of CBR 192mp3 and VBR V2 and i use the tracks on a micro card, TF card in my phone and use those ear bud kind of headphones, cheap ones compared to eXpensive ones sometimes is a total rought. We all don't walk around with a set of Bose headphones lol.. I get so much joy from a au5$ set.. lol..
neanderthal.. Your right, what's a CD now lol.. .. Here's a little trick i do and glad to share.. With my own rips the V2 or 192 not proper torrent stuff i used to do... I drop the 50hz to -12 and 60 sits at -6 and then 100 is +3db 150 is 0db to 12khz 0db 14khz which i raise 3db so +3db and drop the 16khz straight to -12db and never go over 0db in recording.. But for larger speakers you can tell the difference between a Flac and V0 (both 0db across the board) but slightly and yep why waste all that Flac if your intension is not to save for future cough CDRipping perhaps.. AAC is actually not a bad a codec... OPUS is the go if you have a player that plays that codec.. VLC has a mobile/cell.. All in all, i'm like the rest of the planet, half deaf Lmao.. Unless you have a good setup of say 24bit and even low as 48khz compared to 96 and 15inch woofers and brilliant high end tweeters.. Flac is pointless... Well that's my 2 cents Lmao... oh and as for the tests, no test suits everyone. We have statistics and all (Which is an excellent thing for the techs), but it comes down your music prefrence and what your comfortably with... Smile
I'm assuming they've controlled factors like output equipment so more focus can be put on the actual research subject, AAC vs FLAC. Even Mp3s sound better when you connect your device to amps. I really don't need to tell a layer from the other as long as i can tell the instruments. Like f i can tell bass from the lead from the rhythm from the drum and the vocals and can concentrate to separate the notes, then FLAC really is just a waste of space.
(Jan 07, 2019, 23:36 pm)bubanee Wrote: Good arguments in this.. I myself have a collection of CBR 192mp3 and VBR V2 and i use the tracks on a micro card, TF card in my phone and use those ear bud kind of headphones, cheap ones compared to eXpensive ones sometimes is a total rought. We all don't walk around with a set of Bose headphones lol.. I get so much joy from a au5$ set.. lol..
neanderthal.. Your right, what's a CD now lol.. .. Here's a little trick i do and glad to share.. With my own rips the V2 or 192 not proper torrent stuff i used to do... I drop the 50hz to -12 and 60 sits at -6 and then 100 is +3db 150 is 0db to 12khz 0db 14khz which i raise 3db so +3db and drop the 16khz straight to -12db and never go over 0db in recording.. But for larger speakers you can tell the difference between a Flac and V0 (both 0db across the board) but slightly and yep why waste all that Flac if your intension is not to save for future cough CDRipping perhaps.. AAC is actually not a bad a codec... OPUS is the go if you have a player that plays that codec.. VLC has a mobile/cell.. All in all, i'm like the rest of the planet, half deaf Lmao.. Unless you have a good setup of say 24bit and even low as 48khz compared to 96 and 15inch woofers and brilliant high end tweeters.. Flac is pointless... Well that's my 2 cents Lmao... oh and as for the tests, no test suits everyone. We have statistics and all (Which is an excellent thing for the techs), but it comes down your music prefrence and what your comfortably with... Smile

Yall better read this and edumakate yourselves.  ^

Hey bubs Smile

BTW: Anyone who says they can't tell the difference between FLAC and mp3 on a legitimate stereo is either confused, deaf, or lying.

And waste of space, really? 3TB hdd's are cheap af.

(Nov 25, 2018, 18:24 pm)neanderthal Wrote: Of course there are those that swear they can, but have never been subjected to a real test.  They remind me of the people who spend tons of money on bottled water that turns out to come from some city reservoir.

Where have I heard this exact argument before? hmm....Could it be IRC?
(Jan 24, 2019, 11:11 am)politux Wrote:
(Jan 07, 2019, 23:36 pm)bubanee Wrote: . Unless you have a good setup of say 24bit and even low as 48khz compared to 96 and 15inch woofers and brilliant high end tweeters.. Flac is pointless... 

Yall better read this and edumakate yourselves.  ^

Yea, he makes a good point about the pointlessness of flac.  Thanks 

(Jan 24, 2019, 11:11 am)politux Wrote: BTW: Anyone who says they can't tell the difference between FLAC and mp3 on a legitimate stereo is either confused, deaf, or lying.

Typical of your thinking.  Anyone who doesn't agree with me is ( . . . string of pejoratives . . . )

(Jan 24, 2019, 11:11 am)politux Wrote:  3TB hdd's are cheap af.

Tell that to dueda!

(Jan 24, 2019, 11:11 am)politux Wrote: Where have I heard this exact argument before? hmm....Could it be IRC?

Not an IRCer myself, but it wouldn't surprise me that it would be expressed there as well as many other outlets, online and off.
Quote:it wouldn't surprise me that it would be expressed there as well as many other outlets, online and off.

Yeah there are lot of idiots around who spout nonsense without knowing anything about audio, I agree.
deleted post since I forgot I already posted here and said pretty much the same thing

But there is a definite difference. I can tell when I play on higher quality systems. Plus I have a couple TB's of storage, so why not get FLAC.

Saying MP3 is just as good is 3rd world thinking in an attempt to convince yourself it's better because you don't have enough room for FLAC...

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Kpop - Holland (singer) - [FLAC] nadkaro 0 285 Apr 11, 2024, 06:54 am
Last Post: nadkaro
  bad cue/flac Anoid 5 1,016 Mar 01, 2024, 13:28 pm
Last Post: Anoid
  What's a good flac to mp3 converter for Ubuntu ? LadyAnn2 6 16,504 Jul 23, 2021, 07:46 am
Last Post: Tress1991
  Audio codecs: 16/24 bits FLAC. Vinyl. etc .. blu_people 18 48,967 Sep 11, 2020, 10:01 am
Last Post: chrisfound
  Competition In The Music Space Is Great: Fragmentation In The Music Space Is ... Mike 1 19,558 Sep 28, 2017, 23:08 pm
Last Post: contrail