Poll: Do you believe in a religion?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes, I do
40.00%
8 40.00%
No, I don't
45.00%
9 45.00%
Don't know/Don't care
15.00%
3 15.00%
Total 20 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Do you believe in a religion?
(Sep 16, 2015, 05:15 am)Joker__TPB Wrote: well, there are no witnesses to back that up,  so i'll just take my chances.

test it. close your eyes. can't see shit, right?
that's because no light is going through them.
when you die and your eyes rot (if you're buried) or turn to ashes (if you're cremated)
there won't be any light going through them 'cause there won't even be eyes to start with.
apply same principle to everything else (ears, brain, legs, etcetera).
it doesn't take much effort. just a tiny little bit of thinking.
can't really imagine it, but I can imagine myself at a mansion smoking pot with John Lennon with Kurt Cobain rockin it at the stadium in front of the beach behind the mansion.
smoking pot? your lungs will be gone too... Sad
I'm not particularly religious, but I do believe their is a higher power but none of the religions depict it properly.

I also believe that religion was first created for good, to bring people together, give simple rules for people to get along better, and give comfort and hope, but now it's used as an instrument of war and a reason to kill another.
Should LZA be reading this, it would make for an interesting thread.

Anyhow, I don't believe in a religion, but I do believe in a god, if anything, or a governing power.

Now, I'm not a Branch Davidian, or a last-remaining Solar Templist, but I think it's not unrealistic to believe in what I believe. I don't believe the world was in seven days, or that there will be a Day of Judgement, but the conceit is healthy.

I understand that religions are made because of the fear of death and that, after death, the fear of disappearing into oblivion.

I think the reason I don't believe in religions is that most of them are flawed in one way or another. Buddhism, while a philosophy, is merely a philosophy, so there is a flaw there. Christianity forces you to join the club or you will be damned even if you do good deeds, especially if it's out of principles and especially when this God governs non-believers any way. Islam? Well, see Christianity.

While I find that religions are faulty, it doesn't mean that I don't, as I said earlier, find spiritual truths in dying as I lived: believing in a god and not giving up that belief.
So, based on your critical thought on organized/structured religion, would you label yourself as a deist or as a theist?
More like Agnostic.

EDIT: Don't get me wrong, studying religions is my hobby, but I'll always be an outsider until the day I die.

Either that or an arrrrgh-sider!
(Sep 16, 2015, 02:07 am)Agricola Wrote: Religion is a man made thing, so that's like asking if you believe in a Ford car, maybe the question you meant to ask was "do you believe there is a god"
I myself do not believe there is a god, if there was a supreme being why would he make us suffer so ?

(Sep 17, 2015, 11:43 am)SgtPepper Wrote:
(Sep 16, 2015, 02:07 am)Agricola Wrote: Religion is a man made thing, so that's like asking if you believe in a Ford car, maybe the question you meant to ask was "do you believe there is a god"
I myself do not believe there is a god, if there was a supreme being why would he make us suffer so ?

I agree that religion is man made.  I do not believe faith is man made.  I do believe there is a God.  In response to your question " if there was a supreme being why would he make us suffer so ?", i believe an equal question to ask is, is there evil in the world?  If there is, why does it exist?  Did God make evil?  Is evil the source of suffering?

We all have choice to choose our paths and beliefs.  We don't all have the liberty to pursue them (but that's for another discussion).

I believe God exists, that he allows us choice, and due to the choices of others who choose a path of evil, evil exists.  If God exists and he doesn't allow choice, then he would be a dictator...  and faith would not be a choice.
(Sep 17, 2015, 11:43 am)SgtPepper Wrote: i believe an equal question to ask is, is there evil in the world?  If there is, why does it exist?  Did God make evil?  Is evil the source of suffering?

to answer your equal question with a generic religious perspective:

is there evil in the world? clearly yes
why does it exist? because God allows it
did God make evil? yes, if He is the creator of everything.
is evil the source of suffering? yes, since God is love, not malice

Quote:We don't all have the liberty to pursue them (but that's for another discussion).

oh but yes do go on, I would very much like to hear your perspective Smile
you're taking your metaphors too literally.
good and evil exist, but their source is one and the same: people.
take people out of the equation and both good and evil cease to exist.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do you believe in fixed games? destructor 2 11,280 Sep 28, 2021, 09:57 am
Last Post: destructor
  You do not die or get addicted to ANY drug if you do not abuse it. vonRicht 97 147,870 Feb 23, 2021, 16:47 pm
Last Post: dueda
  Life After Death - What You Believe In? Kotter 8 22,595 Feb 05, 2019, 13:55 pm
Last Post: politux
  How do you feel when you SEED or UPLOAD a torrent? paooleole 10 25,810 Jan 17, 2018, 17:03 pm
Last Post: RobertX
  What could you do if you went self Employed WW3hasstarted 10 24,468 Dec 29, 2017, 13:43 pm
Last Post: politux