Poll: Do you believe in a religion?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes, I do
40.00%
8 40.00%
No, I don't
45.00%
9 45.00%
Don't know/Don't care
15.00%
3 15.00%
Total 20 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Do you believe in a religion?
so yeah guys, its time for a discussion, let us rationally discuss this topic like the gentlemen we are. I would like to hear everyone's respective opinion about religion, and whether or not they believe in one and why.
religion requires faith. faith does not require religion.
Religion is a man made thing, so that's like asking if you believe in a Ford car, maybe the question you meant to ask was "do you believe there is a god"
I myself do not believe there is a god, if there was a supreme being why would he make us suffer so ?
(Sep 16, 2015, 01:41 am)stor  mium Wrote: religion requires faith. faith does not require religion.

(i hope this doesn't count off topic)

so, you say that faith does not depend on religion, would you also say that faith is a independent variable of reason that could apply to some or all aspects of life excluding religion?

your right, faith does not require religion, but some would doubt its purpose when it exists outside the realm of religious belief. but do you think that faith (believing without proof) is healthy/safe for a human being to use when its outside the context of religion? 
Faith is something some people hold dear to their heart, religion may not even enter the equation, faith and religion are two completely different subjects.
(Sep 16, 2015, 02:07 am)Agricola Wrote: Religion is a man made thing, so that's like asking if you believe in a Ford car, maybe the question you meant to ask was "do you believe there is a god"
I myself do not believe there is a god, if there was a supreme being why would he make us suffer so ?

I do have to agree with you. As being a frequent gore viewer, I just can't believe all the horrible ways humans suffer/die everyday. It makes you doubt that any god can stand by and just watch us suffer in this accursed world of ours.

Would you also say that religion was just made in order to cope with the everyday problems, and people "abuse" it just like alcohol and drugs, to forget the problems plagued in this world?

Now, let's talk from a Christian perspective (for example). Most scholars agree that the reason behind all the suffering/evil in this world, is a "test" given by God to judge everybody (since nobody's perfect). Man, is what you might call a "animal", at some stages of its life. The thing is, some people are more "animal" than others, and the problem with being is, God doesn't want them in his kingdom.

Its like if your having a party, you want people who behave better than others, rather than the ones who just want to wreck havoc and break all your shiz. Same thing with God, according to the Bible, it says that He "loves" everybody.

If there was a supreme being, you would imagine that god would not be sorta or half "good". A supreme being is indefinitely just, so that god would be the utmost good or pure good or (100%).

According to the Bible, it states that God's love is immeasurable, thus we humans can't comprehend His actions. So for example, the love of a parent. Some parents, love their children so much, that they punish them (when they screw up) to show them the errors of their ways. The same can be said for God, except its in a much grander scale.

As for why a god would let us suffer in this world, is because (according to both the Bible and Qur'an for example), in the afterlife, the "hell" that awaits those who sin/disobey, is where the real suffering begins. I don't know how your journey/adventure of life is going, but the suffering you endured could not even compare to the "real" hell. So in the eyes of God (Christianity), He acknowledges your suffering, but in His eyes, your suffering is petty, when compared to the people who are sent to hell. God permits suffering in order to change your ways, test you, or see if your faith is still just.

In the Bible, God allowed Satan to bring upon suffering unto Job, in order to test his faith. In the end, Job endured and prospered, earning him the eternal gift of salvation. So pretty much, the same concept still exists in this modern day of ours.

And yeah, that's pretty much it, a small insight to the world of religion and how it supposedly works Smile
there are several religions and there are differences between them.
so if religion A is true, religions B to Z are false.
which religion is A? depends.
who's answering the question?
a catholic? a jew? a muslim? a budhist? a hindu?
let's just keep it simple.
where did religion come from?
could it be that it came from the need to explain what could not be understood?
could it be that people chose the "i have no idea what the real answers to these questions are, so i'll just make up some answers" path?
if, it was the latter, that person(s) must had quite the imagination to be able to create a religion.  
i'd go ahead and pick the former, human's ensuing philosophy of life's problems seems legit.

although the world's 2 largest religions are somewhat the same, i'd pick any of the two. (preferably the first one, due to my country's hatred of the second)

religion is like insurance, if religion is false, at least you just spent time. if it turns out to be real, you get a treat. i'm just going to be on the safe side on this one and not gamble my (potential) afterlife since there is no proof that it does or does not exist  
as far as your afterlife goes, you'd have bigger things to worry about.
i'm sure you've realised that once your body dies and rots you lose access to several rather useful privileges.
no more eyes, no more ears, so you can't see or hear shit.
no more brain, so all your memories perish, 'cause the data needs a harddrive.
no more hands, legs, arms, feet, so you ain't going nowhere.
it'll be like being paralyzed, blind, deaf, and on top of that you have alzheimer.
well, there are no witnesses to back that up,  so i'll just take my chances.

it might so happen that i go into a paradise of X-box and asian chicks to spend my afterlife in for eternity. that seems funner than being dead.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do you believe in fixed games? destructor 2 11,282 Sep 28, 2021, 09:57 am
Last Post: destructor
  You do not die or get addicted to ANY drug if you do not abuse it. vonRicht 97 147,878 Feb 23, 2021, 16:47 pm
Last Post: dueda
  Life After Death - What You Believe In? Kotter 8 22,599 Feb 05, 2019, 13:55 pm
Last Post: politux
  How do you feel when you SEED or UPLOAD a torrent? paooleole 10 25,811 Jan 17, 2018, 17:03 pm
Last Post: RobertX
  What could you do if you went self Employed WW3hasstarted 10 24,470 Dec 29, 2017, 13:43 pm
Last Post: politux