Do DVD players have a limit on how many times you can set the region?
So begs the question: do DVD players limit the number of region changes?

I know computer DVD drives do, and they don't hide that fact. However, what about DVD players hooked to your TV?

No DVD player menu that I encountered in my previous DVD region changes bring that up, ever. Perhaps I am too scared or too wise, I don't know, but it is starting to be a case for me.

As face value goes, the answer seems to be no, but what the matter underneath? Do DVD players limit the number of changes you can make to it? Yes or no?
(Nov 11, 2020, 04:29 am)RobertX Wrote: Do DVD players limit the number of changes you can make to it? Yes or no?

No.
All right, thanks, RodneyYouPlonker.

Been a driving force for nightmares. Sad
yea, i know about limited 5 times in DVD-RW/ROM Drive.

but no limit for DVD Player hooked in TV via RCA cable or newer connectors.

(just for confirmation @RobertX) Smile
There is no straight answer to that because there is no reigning policy.

Some stand alone players and game consoles are set at the factory and can't be changed. Some are not set to any region.

Computer drives usually can be changed 5 times. 3rd party apps like VLC just ignore the flag on the DVD. You can also reflash the drive to remove or reset the limits.
I just use AnyDVD but the trouble is that for computers it's no good if you used a cracked one as it doesn't work properly.  It's better to get a real one to solve the computer drive problem.  I would watch out with those guys though as good as the software is and it's excellent BTW but be aware they are criminals and they like to sell Credit card details onto third parties so don't buy with a card use Bitcoin otherwise you'll get conned by them.  They do it to everybody it seems there's lots of posts on the forum but other than that AnyDVD is the best.

As far as DVD players are concerned, I bought a few years ago and I always either got a region free one or I bought a modded one and it was fine but you couldn't update the firmware otherwise you would upset the mod which is why the people who mod them would provide the firmware on their site but for a limited time only.

As far as UHD drives are now concerned there is no region coding with those but if you backwards them back to Blu Ray HD then there still is so the market is a bit of a mess at the moment nothing really good worth looking at.  Trouble these days the dreadly 'Netflix' has damaged the industry and the deadly army of Netflixers out there have gone stream mad.
RodneyYouPlonker, I know that having an updated program has its benefits, but I have an old version of AnyDVD which will does not fail. It's actually very good, really. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Moe, I believe I already said that about computer DVD drives, but yeah, you're right.

Also, I've encountered some DVD TV players that aren't capable. And I have one too: a Toshiba VCR/DVD player combo. If you're like me and want a hackable DVD player, stay away from most Japanese DVD players, like Sony, Toshiba, and Panasonic; they're no-gos. (Not racist, especially since I share the same skin colour with my Japanese cousins.)

Now, I have all the facts, but what's making me indecisive of either keeping it or returning the player to Walmart is if I can change the region to as many times as I want, and I don't want to have any surprises halfway.

As per a show of self-faith, I guess I should sleep; it's knowing that I've never heard of cases where there is a limit to the number of times you can change a hackable DVD player. Not confronting you guys for spreading unpleasant facts though.

EDIT: I think I'll just assume that TV DVD players do not limit the amount of regional changes with the bingo code.

RodneyYouPlonker, my facts concur with you regarding the firmware issue. It's spot on, but I guess I'm lucky with this DVD player I bought from Walmart.

Of course, DVD hacking 101 dictates that you switch the region to 0 for all regions. However, even though the DVD player in question has that, the Paramount discs do not play the role of being pwned, so I would have to change the region by myself. This is why I was concerned about the possibility that I have a small number of times that I can change the region. As I said, I have received no proof that it happens since I've never seen even rumours that exist even suggesting it.

All right, with that in mind, thank you for helping me, and have a great day!
You're welcome mate.  I just like a good version of AnyDVD and to get the updates and then I can use it for the very latest Blu Ray protections.  It's also good apart from making things region free to also allowing you to do a full backup of a disc mainly Blu Ray in my situation.  AnyDVD, the people behind them are fine and all great but whoever reads this, if you decide to go for a full licence as it is the best software just be really careful and pay with bitcoin otherwise things could turn bad.
OK, I think I'll go rip a Region 3 Alexa Bliss exercise video on my DVD player... changing to region 3, done Big Grin
(Nov 11, 2020, 11:13 am)Moe Wrote: ... You can also reflash the drive to remove or reset the limits....

nice info!
thank you @Moe Blush

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  lustrous - makeup set lustrous 2 958 Feb 06, 2024, 11:39 am
Last Post: lustrous
  Wanting to Share My DVD Rips RobertX 2 6,350 Jan 28, 2024, 11:42 am
Last Post: lustrous
  Dan Hicks song "How Can I Miss You..." medina_w 0 1,702 Dec 19, 2023, 13:25 pm
Last Post: medina_w
  Do you have a discord server? Ladyanne3 7 4,819 Jul 28, 2023, 23:59 pm
Last Post: RobertX
  Anyone have any experience installing a xenforo forum? Ladyanne3 1 4,420 Jun 30, 2023, 03:50 am
Last Post: snx