Community Poll!
I'm personally not interested in providing HEVC (x265) encodes, as file sizes aren't an issue for me and the encodes I provide I want to be as accessible as possible. Saying x265 encodes look like 'shit' is an ignorant statement though, you might have seen lots of shitty encodes using x265 as they are likely encodes of encodes, use CUDA instead of software encoding, and the only goal are small file sizes; but as an encoding standard, it's technologically superior to AVC and a skilled encoder can do wonderful things with it, particularly with limited bitrates.

As BadFilms stated, a lot of (especially older) devices don't have hardware acceleration for x265 which means it's relying on computationally expensive software decoding which those devices might struggle with which is the main argument for not using it.

FWIW, I stopped caring about file sizes as soon as I got a google cloud drive. $12/month for unlimited storage (or take your chances on eBay with a few lifetime accounts for $12 each - just make sure to have back ups on multiple accounts, I've had some of these for years). I currently have well over 200TB sitting on Google Cloud and have for 4+ years. Beats having a bunch of drives in RAID with failures etc. An 80GB 4k UBD-Remux of Godzilla with a RiffTrax audio track, why not? Plex dynamically encodes to whatever device I need, may as well start with the highest quality source.
Speaking of Plex ... I used to love it but after reading an article I decided to try out Emby and guess what .... I really like it better. I like the themes, the layout, the options etc. As for H264 and H265 I have videos in both formats and think they both very good. Just my thoughts.

200TB? wow ... I have a few 4,6, and 8 Tb external hard drives. I'd LOVE to see a spread sheet of what you have in 200TB of media.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  MST-HD Remaster upscaling help + most-wanted poll Seacom 8 3,411 Nov 21, 2023, 01:47 am
Last Post: Anarchemist
  REQ/POLL: S13E01 Santo May 6 Public Premiere Version FrannySpork 0 6,562 May 07, 2022, 08:35 am
Last Post: FrannySpork
  An informal poll sarlacc222 35 29,653 Dec 04, 2021, 02:45 am
Last Post: Meat Trademark