Cinavia - The Bottom Line
(Oct 14, 2017, 02:14 am)RobertX Wrote: Is it that bad?

How do they compare with 3D Blu Ray?

EDIT: I believe that Blu Ray sucks not just because of Cinavia. I also believe that besides better quality, it doesn't really replace DVDs. For DVD quality, at least it brought menus to the Western market, audio-switching, subtitles, and multi-camera angles, among their other gems, although most of these features are already in lesser discs such as Laserdisc and VCDs.

What did Blu Ray players have that DVD players don't?

First,  yes and no because old movies that are remastered into bluray or real 4k have not the same color detail as the dvd or theatrical version back.
Example: Link
The title says 3d but its actually a 4k 2017.
But for newer titles, they'll do the same on some 4k and blu ray movies.
Second, it depends some 3d movies have real 3d or not, some have real 4k or not and some have real 3d and 4k and some dont have both. To the point  its not worth compared to 4k IMO. (Because of the eyestrain 3d can give).
Third, like you said bluray players can give better quality depending on how they make it, but they are a different format, newer models read cinavia and thats a pain in the ass to rip clear quality sound to the  (Why couldnt we just hardmod the players just like we did with the ps1 just to bypass cinavia like the older models, i know there are slim model but they are bulkier ones in the market) and everything else is identical to the dvd.
Conclusion: vote with your wallet, dont buy some fake crap and messy remasters that'll get you pissed off and ripped off. Do some research and get the real deal.
Here's two
Fake or real 3d
Real or fake 4k
(Sep 11, 2017, 17:41 pm)RobertX Wrote: +1 on contrail!
Thx.
(Oct 13, 2017, 23:57 pm)RobertX Wrote: To sum up that paragraph, life goes on.

In following that, I just use DVD players and VCRs for my viewing pleasure.

Blu Ray players, such as it is now, can suck my dick.
Why spend money on new hyped up tech when the old one is just as reliable? Also why pay for more DRM restrictions?
Well, DVD players have DRM like region codes and Macrovision, just as VCRs have Macrovision; we've just gotten around them. That's why I use them.

But Blu Ray players can still suck my dick - for the moment.

I am hopeful for hardware media players, but I still have to change my thinking about keeping disc/VHS copies of everything I watch.
(Oct 14, 2017, 17:48 pm)RobertX Wrote: Well, DVD players have DRM like region codes and Macrovision, just as VCRs have Macrovision; we've just gotten around them. That's why I use them.

But Blu Ray players can still suck my dick - for the moment.

I am hopeful for hardware media players, but I still have to change my thinking about keeping disc/VHS copies of everything I watch.
Yeah, at least drm in most dvd are not hard.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cinavia rbtv 1 13,305 Mar 04, 2017, 17:53 pm
Last Post: RobertX
  Share Your Cinavia Experiences RobertX 9 19,686 Sep 07, 2014, 01:19 am
Last Post: bob5695