Bill Gates wants to eat your soul
@FO - There is at least an unofficial M$ package manager called Chocolatey, which relies on Nuget and Powershell. A problem I had with it at first is that it tried to install some 'updates' I did not want. I just yanked what I did want out of /TEMP and installed manually, and it worked fine. It had stuff almost impossible to get without accounts or exhaustive searching.

The .nupkg packages are zip files. I take what I need from them.

@RX The problem with Linux is that it cannot seem to get UDF format right, so its pretty useless for optical media. Seems like M$ 'patent' crap. Plus the burner software they do have is garbage compared to ImgBurn (old version, new one is beggarware).

See if you have any local auctions. Machines go pretty cheap there. Around $40-60 for a nice one, though I've gotten some decent ones for $10.
What is "beggarware?"

Is it just a 30-days-for-free kind of thing?

About the Tianamen Massacre thing, no disrespect, but I disagree. We can talk on e-mail or PM if you want, but to be honest, I don't. Again though, no disrespect, us pirates need to show unity in public.

Thanks for the suggestion though. Those figures are US Dollars?
(Jun 21, 2020, 04:15 am)waregim Wrote: @FO - There is at least an unofficial M$ package manager called Chocolatey, which relies on Nuget and Powershell. A problem I had with it at first is that it tried to install some 'updates' I did not want. I just yanked what I did want out of /TEMP and installed manually, and it worked fine. It had stuff almost impossible to get without accounts or exhaustive searching.

The .nupkg packages are zip files. I take what I need from them.

@RX The problem with Linux is that it cannot seem to get UDF format right, so its pretty useless for optical media. Seems like M$ 'patent' crap. Plus the burner software they do have is garbage compared to ImgBurn (old version, new one is beggarware).

See if you have any local auctions. Machines go pretty cheap there. Around $40-60 for a nice one, though I've gotten some decent ones for $10.

Didn't know about Chocolatey. I was thinking about this:

https://devblogs.microsoft.com/commandli...r-preview/
Fant0men, you said Microsoft might actually improve with GNU/Linux and OSX use on the rise; I'm starting to see the light on that prospect.

Too bad about the cost though, as Microsoft and Apple do not have the capability to smarten up and not charge for a lot even if you are to charge. Back in 1999 in Canada, when GNU/Linux distros can be found in stores packaged in a box, most of them would cost around $50 CDN at the most. It's probably $36 USD.
(Jun 21, 2020, 06:59 am)RobertX Wrote: Fant0men, you said Microsoft might actually improve with GNU/Linux and OSX use on the rise; I'm starting to see the light on that prospect.

Too bad about the cost though, as Microsoft and Apple do not have the capability to smarten up and not charge for a lot even if you are to charge. Back in 1999 in Canada, when GNU/Linux distros can be found in stores packaged in a box, most of them would cost around $50 CDN at the most. It's probably $36 USD.

Even though I despise Windows I have a hard time seeing how Win10 is actually worse than Win7, as an example. Same story with Win8. The only thing that was worse than 7 in Win8 was the GUI. I do believe Windows rests on a shitty foundation to begin with, and that it'll never be a true (technological) competitor to other systems that are based on a better design to begin with. Microsoft has their monopoly, but that says nothing about the actual quality of the system. Well, in fact, it kind of implies there's no incentive for them to seriously improve things. But, like we agreed, Windows getting some serious competition on the marketplace does probably motivate Microsoft to make improvements.
I don't know where you got that I put Windows 7 over Windows 10; it's just that I don't have a choice. the computer's about 14 years old and Dell does not have support for Windows 10, so no drivers and no salvation. Getting Windows 10 is not an option. Well, actually, I do mean it when I prefer Windows 7, but that is not to say that it's likable. I like Windows 7's version of Windows Media Player 12 better than those of Windows 8 and 10, because it's DVD-capable if you install K-Lite Codec's basic tier. I will install all its codecs, DVD capabilities, and without Media Player Classic Home Cinema.

However, if I want, I can always transform my Linux Mint box into a Winblows 10, but I don't want to. I plan to go all-out GNU/Linux. My mother doesn't want to; she's not stupid, as she knows more about computers than most people her age, but she's too stubborn. She's one of those who are "quick to judge, slow to change." I used to be like that long ago and, still am a hypocrite, but

1. I admit and man enough to
2. I have and will continue to learn change, shake the status quo
3. I like Linux Mint, and am hoping to use more distros along the way

I like number 3, because It think that is what describes my position in this situation. Actually all of them do...

.. shit, just ran out of things to say.
(Jun 21, 2020, 08:03 am)RobertX Wrote: I don't know where you got that I put Windows 7 over Windows 10; it's just that I don't have a choice. the computer's about 14 years old and Dell does not have support for Windows 10, so no drivers and no salvation. Getting Windows 10 is not an option. Well, actually, I do mean it when I prefer Windows 7, but that is not to say that it's likable. I like Windows 7's version of Windows Media Player 12 better than those of Windows 8 and 10, because it's DVD-capable if you install K-Lite Codec's basic tier. I will install all its codecs, DVD capabilities, and without Media Player Classic Home Cinema.

However, if I want, I can always transform my Linux Mint box into a Winblows 10, but I don't want to. I plan to go all-out GNU/Linux. My mother doesn't want to; she's not stupid, as she knows more about computers than most people her age, but she's too stubborn. She's one of those who are "quick to judge, slow to change." I used to be like that long ago and, still am a hypocrite, but

1. I admit and man enough to
2. I have and will continue to learn change, shake the status quo
3. I like Linux Mint, and am hoping to use more distros along the way

I like number 3, because It think that is what describes my position in this situation. Actually all of them do...

.. shit, just ran out of things to say.

Why do you want to use Windows Media Player though? What's wrong with VLC? It's open source. It supports all the codecs you can think of right out of the box, and there's no need to install any codec packs. It also has DVD support, and BluRay support. Dunno if it can play copy-protected BluRays though, as I don't have a BluRay drive so I can't try that.

Most people are stubborn, and also lazy. That includes me. However, I also apply my stubbornness when I want to make changes, so I guess it all evens out somehow. Laziness can also be applied in a positive way. I make scripts to automate boring and repetitive tasks because of it.

Happy to hear you're giving Linux a chance.
It wouldn't be considered "giving chances," as it already gave me a reason to use them.

I use Windows Media Player because:

1. It comes with Windows 7 and is a kind of minimalist option; I don't like using a host of applications
2. It works better on my Windows 7 system than VLC; on one of my DVDs, it stops playing after a certain time. I realise that the DVD was 10 years ago so it's scratched, but with the AnyDVD on-the-fly decoder, one that I intend to buy, WMP12 plays it better, albeit the fact that you need to be patient.
3. It is an all-rounder player: music and video

I can go on all day, but the point is, this came with Windows 7 and that it's the most viable option on it; I tried KMPlayer, Potplayer, VLC, SMPlayer (surely SMed me), the list goes on, but WMP12 was the most stable and robust player in Windows 7.

All that said, I do use VLC; it's on my Linux Mint box. I don't know if you know by now, but if you install the mint-meta-codecs, it install s VLC itself, the codecs, and even the libdvdcss package, one that allows full-region playback of DVDs and unscrambling CSS.

I know, I know, people don't use DVDs anymore, but I don't care. I find archiving my work and turning it into a tangible library to be a lot of fun.

My mother is not tech-savvy, and just wants to watch downloaded Cantonese-dubbed Korean drama, reading webists, listening to commentary, and learning recipes. Because you can do all these things without Windows, or in her case, Windows 7 Ultimate. I keep telling her, that, she forbids me, and then, I eventually gave up.

You see, my case is different. I need specific software to do specific things. I almost can't live without ConvertXtoDVD and that's the honest truth.

EDIT: It all comes down to this: I both use Windows 7 and Linux Mint because they have more in common and I get the best of both worlds by using them both.
(Jun 21, 2020, 06:44 am)RobertX Wrote: What is "beggarware?"

Is it just a 30-days-for-free kind of thing?

About the Tianamen Massacre thing, no disrespect, but I disagree. We can talk on e-mail or PM if you want, but to be honest, I don't. Again though, no disrespect, us pirates need to show unity in public.

Thanks for the suggestion though. Those figures are US Dollars?

Yup, dollars.

My point about Tienamin is that our 'history' as reported by the media is straight out of Orwell. Like what the Soviets had with Pravda, and the rest of their press - we have now. In spades.

It actually started a long time ago.

I have done historical research from primary documents not seen for 170 years. And the history they tell is often at total odds with written history.

Beggarware is where you have the basic working app, but full of pestering crap begging for money or bugging about paid 'upgrades'. Freeware often turns to beggarware. UTorrent is a good example. Just keep the original versions, and refuse updates.

Shareware is usually hobbled, until the fee is paid.
Well, waregim, whether we agree of not, I think we are straying far away from the actual topic at hand, and that might offend the OP. Like I said, we can talk on PM if you want.

While we're posting here, let's just stick to Microsoft and Bill Gates's appetite on our souls.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do you guys eat poisonous snakes? RobertX 5 12,557 Dec 09, 2020, 05:37 am
Last Post: waregim
  Authors Guild Wants ISPs to Track Book Piracy The_Abee 0 9,767 Jul 23, 2015, 04:18 am
Last Post: The_Abee
  UK Wants 10 Year Prison Sentence For Online Pirates Ernesto 1 11,794 Jul 18, 2015, 17:14 pm
Last Post: RobertX
  MPAA Wants to Kill Domain Name Privacy, For Some Ernesto 0 10,128 Jul 09, 2015, 18:50 pm
Last Post: Ernesto
  FBI Wants Pirate Bay Logs to Expose Copyright Trolls Ernesto 2 11,293 Jul 04, 2015, 19:36 pm
Last Post: gcjm