Bill Gates wants to eat your soul
Still here on a Windows 7 machine! Smile
(Jun 15, 2020, 21:56 pm)RobertX Wrote: Still here on a Windows 7 machine! Smile

I will pray for you. Why Win7 though? Running on an old machine?

You're not alone in sticking with Win7 or older versions of Windows in general. If one has a new PC though, I see no reason to, as I'd assume even Windows does get better with each version, especially these days that Mac is gaining market share and chipping away at Microsoft's monopoly. There's nothing that forces a big company like that to improve their products like competition.

I'm not going to judge too much though. Back when I was using Windows I stuck with Win98 even when XP was around. I thought XP was very unstable and buggy when it was new.
Running on an old machine, yes... and because Windows Media Player 12 is more advanced than its pitiful Windows 10 coutnerpart. A Pentium 4 2.8GHz Prescott by Dell. Just a few years back, I used to have a Northwood, but that went south. I am using Linux Mint 19.3 (soon to be 20 when I upgrade) that's running on a 2008 AMD Phenom II. Was pleased that many virtual OSs run off of it, including Windows 10. My mother is using an Intel i5 (I think) Laptop, also with a Windows 7. She doesn't care, as long as she can watch videos and look at web pages. She's retired.

When the pandemic blows off, I am going to shop for a new computer. If all goes well, that will have Windows 10 and the one I'm using might be retrofitted with a 32-bit Linux OS (probably Mint 19.3 as later versions will not run).

But I still like Windows 7; it's less messy than Windows 10. I don't care about compromising my bank account as I don't have much money in it anyway ($1,000,000,000,000; shh don't tell anyone Smile).

Or maybe, I will keep my Pentium 4 with Windows 7 while I torture myself with Windows 10. Or maybe, fuck, I'll just use Linux Mint 20 on a new machine as well. The only reason I'll ever use Windows 7 is for WMP, games, and DVD authoring my downloaded videos. I only need one computer to do all that.

OK, that's all, folks!

EDIT: Forgot to ask you: which Linux distro do you use, Fan0men?
Also not planning to go anywhere with Win7 on this ancient machine. I like it better than the newer ones. Its pretty well armor plated and will run anything thats not stupidly bound to win 10. Though I also run Buster, the Win7 is half Linux (Posix) anyway.

Totally dislike Win10, but leave it on the laptop, where its chopped down to look like Win2000. And certainly not looking forward to the hellacious amount of time to repeat with a desktop. That said the lil lady *might* need it on her machine for the next semester online classes. But have an old and hacked Win10 version that I'll put on a swappable hard drive on her machine.

M$ is trying to herd everyone into its paywall cloud. Its even in the process of deprecating Powershell to a chopped down cloud heavy 'core' version. Its also started to make a foray back into Unix by making alot of Win10 apps Linux friendly, including allowing you to install and use Linux through it. I would not trust it, as this will spur the growth of Linux boogers,
(Jun 06, 2020, 03:10 am)RobertX Wrote: Actually, Windows is one of the greatest inventions of humankind if he did have help.

However, I am not thoroughly impressed that he is a philantropist (how do you spell that?!?). There are many people out there that did more than what he claimed to have done and they were never credited for it.

So I call bullshit on that one.

Got any details about that? Because the last thing I heard is that Bill Gates has donated more to charities than any other rich person.
I'm not too familiar with the inner working of the Gates charity, but I trust him as much as I trust the Clinton foundation. Just the fact that that he made his business as he did... (and I agree with Jobs assessment in the video), shows me he can pull underhanded shit.

The thought of population control is scary... NOt as far as keeping numbers down, but actually controlling people with these F-ing chips. They say the road to hell is paved with good intentions. But Im not even sure his intentions are good, regardless of the benefits he touts...
First of all, most of these elite run charities are a scam. They have all the money they will ever need, and the 'charities' are a means to power as well as a tax scam.

For Gates, it is simple. He is a Malthusian euggenecist, like his father. All his 'donations' have been directed towards that cause, which includes payments to corporations at least partially owned by him, or those that can potentially generate profit to that cause. Look at the proposed 'vaccine'. He stands to make billions, if not trillions off it. But not directly. It will go into trusts that the 501c3s will control. And from his position on their boards he will control the 501c3s.

Look at the Clinton Foundation, and their 'rescue work' in Haiti. Built one house, stymied the recontruction of neighborhoods, and siphoned millions into killary's campaign.

Look at PBS, funded by varions 'foundations. - and mostly propaganda that puts a good light on neoliberal theology. Occasionally they let a good documentary get through. Controlled opposition.

The theory used by Gates is that a healthy and happy population has less incentive to breed in places that do not have Social Security policies. Kinda makes sense until you realize that he has no intention of using his wealth to uplift the living stands, or build factories in impoverished nations to take them from raw material sources to industrial nations (a crucial difference). He just wants to *vaccinate* along with other corporate policies to manage their *health*, that work out to managing *them*. Like somehow putting sterilizing agents into a batch of vaccines that rendered thousands of african women infertile. Or introducing new Polio vaccines to India which has led to a new and dangerous outbreak of that dreaded plague.

Gates is scum. He got on my shitlist decades ago when he went after computer shop owners who copied and gave out mouse drivers for those who needed them if they were damaged or deleted. They were a part of the OS, and actually free from M$, but this was a time before they were accessible from the web.

Dont feed the beast that is trying to feed on you.

That said, I do feel that the microkernel approach to the OS was successful where Stallman's Hurs *should have been*. But I have my suspicions is that RMS wa stymied by M$ patent lawyers.

Linux may be backwards in many way, but its possibly from the years Billy G. owned SCO, plastered it with patents, and dumped it.

It is lack of money and lawyers that no doubt is hindering the ReactOS project from providing an open source Win platform. they are hindered from anything even remotely resembling 'copying' M$ code. Assuming that even includes header files, it can be a freaking nightmare.

Its not corporate brilliance that has advanced the tech so much, as corporate suppression of creativity that has not allowed it to proceed further.

Oh.. to add.
I first started investigating charities when a 'garden conservatory' tried to make inroads into our town by funding a private trade school. It looked innocent enough on the surface, especially as the trade school included the disabled.
But their financial reports were astounding.
Hundreds of millions in corporate investments, with the 'charity' run by the people from the majority of those investments. And hidden from taxation by the 501c3 status.

Always remember that according to the law, a 'charity' is only required to 'donate' about 5-15% of its yearly 'donations'
The vast majority goes to 'expenses' as well as 'investments'.

The worst of all is the Red Cross, who charge eye bleeding fees for everything, especially their 'charity' work. Notorius in WWII for charging weary soldiers for a cup of coffee. Believe it was a dime. About $2.00 in today's money.

(Jun 18, 2020, 14:12 pm)LZA Wrote: I'm not too familiar with the inner working of the Gates charity, but I trust him as much as I trust the Clinton foundation. Just the fact that that he made his business as he did... (and I agree with Jobs assessment in the video), shows me he can pull underhanded shit.

The thought of population control is scary... NOt as far as keeping numbers down, but actually controlling people with these F-ing chips. They say the road to hell is paved with good intentions. But Im not even sure his intentions are good, regardless of the benefits he touts...

Actually it wouldnt be half so bad if it was just a simple chip. It could be removed or deactivated by a quick microwave blast (homemade emp).
But its like a tatoo embedded into the skin with dozens (or more) nano-type objects.

Mandated tatoos.
Not new.
(Jun 18, 2020, 11:07 am)Q91 Wrote:
(Jun 06, 2020, 03:10 am)RobertX Wrote: Actually, Windows is one of the greatest inventions of humankind if he did have help.

However, I am not thoroughly impressed that he is a philantropist (how do you spell that?!?). There are many people out there that did more than what he claimed to have done and they were never credited for it.

Got any details about that? Because the last thing I heard is that Bill Gates has donated more to charities than any other rich person.

As RobertX and waregim have already said, Gates makes money off these charities, and that's the goal. He comes from a rich family, and loves the smell of money (who doesn't though?). He believes in the ideology of Eugenics, which is that rich people have better genes and therefore deserve to live, whereas poor people are poor because they have bad genes. Never does the thought cross his mind that the reason rich people like himself are rich, is because they're psychopaths with no empathy, and who will stop at nothing to climb up the ladder. Another reason why poor people are poor is because the system itself is fucked, and not everyone has the psychopathic streak and lack of compassion, which will allow them to hurt others in order to get ahead.

Gates' goal has always been to dominate others, gain more money and power. He doesn't give a shit about the poor in impoverished nations, or about the sick. He's making a lot of money on his "philanthropy", maybe even more than he made @ Microsoft. Look at the history of this guy, and it will accurately predict future behavior. Microsoft as a company didn't get ahead by launching groundbreaking technologies. They scammed their way ahead. If you study their history, it's just one scam after the other. Like how they got IBM to give them a contract of providing the OS for the PC back when it was first launched in the 80s. Microsoft didn't have an OS even when they signed the contract. They lied. Then they went and bought an OS called QDOS from some guy in Seattle, who had made it as a placeholder OS for the computers he was selling, until he could find a real OS. QDOS stands for "Quick and Dirty Operating System", which should give you a hint about its quality. That's what Microsoft then turned into MS-DOS, and based the early versions of Windows on, all the way up to Windows ME. Then, slimy Bill Gates crawled over to Apple, pretending to want to co-operate with them on the first Mac (1984), by writing software for it. Only the real goal was to copy all the features from Apple's GUI, how the mouse interacted with the OS etc., and then release Windows. Microsoft fucked IBM too, as they were writing OS/2 together, but then Microsoft betrayed IBM and used what they had learned from writing OS/2 to create Windows NT. Microsoft has never launched a good idea / product on their own, but their "good" products are nearly always based on someone else's idea and work.

Not to mention Microsoft has been brought to court by the US government and the EU for their monopoly and shady business practices, and have to date paid billions of dollars in fines. They promised to abide by the agreement with the EU, which was that they should have an introduction screen in Windows that lets you know you can switch to another browser than Internet Explorer. They "somehow" managed to forget putting that intro screen in there, and that's why they were fined. They just don't fucking care. They break the law constantly and then just pay the fines, because they know that having a monopoly like that would / will pay for any fines they may receive for breaking the law. They're basically a bunch of gangsters, and they couldn't care less about the quality of their products. The only reason Windows is ever improving is because of the competition Microsoft is seeing from Apple and Linux, though mostly Apple, which is slowly chipping away at Microsoft's monopoly.
(Jun 18, 2020, 11:07 am)Q91 Wrote:

Well, GNU/Linux comes to mind. Most GNU/Linux coders made their software free and open source, but never charged a dime for a "full version." I'm talking about guys like Linux Mint and Debian. Not all are like them though, but the guys who made Linux Mint and Debian, along with other open source software coders never were publicly announced that they were though, at leasat very public. For that, I call bullshit on Microsoft's hypocrisy.
(Jun 18, 2020, 21:58 pm)RobertX Wrote: Well, GNU/Linux comes to mind. Most GNU/Linux coders made their software free and open source, but never charged a dime for a "full version." I'm talking about guys like Linux Mint and Debian. Not all are like them though, but the guys who made Linux Mint and Debian, along with other open source software coders never were publicly announced that they were though, at leasat very public. For that, I call bullshit on Microsoft's hypocrisy.

There's a distinction between free as in freedom, or free as in gratis (aka: no cost). All free software and open source software is free as in freedom. But you can still buy some distributions on physical media. What you're paying for then, is not really the open source code itself, but the physical media, manual, perhaps extra tools that are proprietary, and the support. Due to the nature of open source, you will always find compiled binaries online, even for a distro like RHEL (Red Hat Enterprise Linux). CentOS is RHEL, and compiled from the official sources. The only difference is the naming and logo.

On another note, I find it downright hilarious that people believe Microsoft actually loves open source now. According to Microsoft for decades, Linux was communism and a cancer, but now they love it because they have a new CEO? Can you believe how fucking gullible people are? Embrace, extend and extinguish is the Microsoft strategy. Right now they're embracing the open source world and Linux, and extending it (Windows Subsystem for Linux / WSL comes to mind). Their buying of GitHub is very suspicious as well. Now they have instant access to most of the open source code in the world. Next phase, after they've extended Linux with their proprietary protocols (DirectX etc.), is to extinguish Linux and open source.

Don't be fooled. Linux and open source is a direct competitor to Microsoft, and Microsoft is a software company. Do the math.

Richard Stallman has been canceled, and forced to resign from FSF (Free Software Foundation). Eric S. Raymond was banned from OSI (Open Source Initiative). I believe this is a coup to completely take over and corrupt the open source world. Once Microsoft has control over OSI, they can redefine what it means for a license to be open source, and then use that power to certify their own shoddy licenses that aren't actually open source. I believe the SJWs who have infiltrated these groups are at least in part supported by Microsoft. Don't be surprised when the next leader of these organizations is a Microsoft puppet who will work to slowly erode the foundations upon which open source and free software rests.

Anyone who can't see this coming from miles away is a fucking fool.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do you guys eat poisonous snakes? RobertX 5 12,555 Dec 09, 2020, 05:37 am
Last Post: waregim
  Authors Guild Wants ISPs to Track Book Piracy The_Abee 0 9,766 Jul 23, 2015, 04:18 am
Last Post: The_Abee
  UK Wants 10 Year Prison Sentence For Online Pirates Ernesto 1 11,792 Jul 18, 2015, 17:14 pm
Last Post: RobertX
  MPAA Wants to Kill Domain Name Privacy, For Some Ernesto 0 10,126 Jul 09, 2015, 18:50 pm
Last Post: Ernesto
  FBI Wants Pirate Bay Logs to Expose Copyright Trolls Ernesto 2 11,290 Jul 04, 2015, 19:36 pm
Last Post: gcjm