Beeps But No System Failure
Tell us the beep code the computer makes or record it.
Robert, try cpuid-hwmonitor from my post in page 1.
hwmonitor give more comprehensive report, just try it first and give us a screenshot.

from my experience, your pc beeb might came from cpu fan wich spin slowly (not enough rpm).
if it is an overheating, lubricate the fan shaft sometimes solve the problem..
From theSEMAR's suggested software:

Here:
Beeping like the sounds it makes when powered on, or a different kind of beeping like Windows likes to make when hardware is connected and disconnected?

Beeps are standard as part of the self test at boot, but once the self test is complete, beeping as part of any hardware diagnostic or warning is a lot less common. Overheating after boot usually results in throttling or panic with no warning unless you have specifically installed software to monitor and alert you of these things.

There are all kinds of reasons strange noises come from computers that can cause sounds like beeping: fan failure, hard drive impending doom, USB bus failure causing devices to randomly appear and disappear, ...
(Sep 18, 2020, 00:39 am)RipSHA1 Wrote: Tell us the beep code the computer makes or record it.

No codes, since the manual details them as happening in startup, where the ones I'm experiencing don't come from startups at all.

The beeps are not loud and are intermittent to recall. They just happen in random times.
From Dell™ Dimension™ 3100/E310 Service Manual

Beep Codes

Your computer might emit a series of beeps during start-up if the monitor cannot display errors or problems. This series of beeps, called a beep code, identifies a problem. One possible beep code (code 1-3-1) consists of one beep, a burst of three beeps, and then one beep. This beep code tells you that the computer encountered a memory problem.

If your computer beeps during start-up:
  • Write down the beep codes.
  • Run the Dell Diagnostics to identify a more serious cause.
  • Contact Dell for technical assistance.

CodeCause
1-1-2Microprocessor register failure
1-1-3NVRAM read/write failure
1-1-4ROM BIOS checksum failure
1-2-1Programmable interval timer failure
1-2-2DMA initialization failure
1-2-3DMA page register read/write failure
1-3Video Memory Test failure
1-3-1 through 2-4-4Memory not being properly identified or used
3-1-1Slave DMA register failure
3-1-2Master DMA register failure
3-1-3Mster interrupt mask register failure
3-1-4Slave interrupt mask register failure
3-2-2Interrupt vector loading failure
3-2-4Keyboard Controller Test failure
3-3-1NVRAM power loss
3-3-2Invalid NVRAM configuration
3-3-4Video Memory Test failure
3-4-1Screen initialization failure
3-4-2Screen retrace failure
3-4-3Search for video ROM failure
4-2-1No timer tick
4-2-2Shutdown failure
4-2-3Gate A20 failure
4-2-4Unexpected interrupt in protected mode
4-3-1Memory failure above address 0FFFFh
4-3-3Timer-chip counter 2 failure
4-3-4Time-of-day clock stopped
4-4-1Serial or parallel port test failure
4-4-2Failure to decompress code to shadowed memory
4-4-3Math-coprocessor test failure
4-4-4Cache test failure

I know it says start up, but the beeps would most likely still be indicative of one of the above 'failures'
Well, the last one just beeps once.

All right guys, I've prepared enough money to go Christmas shopping for one this Christmas.

Thanks!
(Sep 18, 2020, 21:17 pm)RobertX Wrote: All right guys, I've prepared enough money to go Christmas shopping for one this Christmas.

Thanks!

Hey Robert, I hope you can sort it out.  I know how you feel I've just had a tonne of bad luck myself.  All kinds of problems to deal with as of late.  I've managed to deal with a lot of these things now but it just has been so terrible and yes it was computer stuff but also other important things which I can't explain about.

September 2020 for me has been tough it all started a few weeks ago.  I did have one of those Dell machines a long time ago, I was given some money for nothing long long time ago and I bought a Dell Dimension and ran it for a while but eventually gave it up and gave to somebody else who I knew.  Just hope you can get yourself maybe another machine at some point.  I might be planning to build something else myself at some point but just waiting really until I can get the funds together it does take time to raise the money.

Good luck and hopefully a new machine will be nice and you get a lot of usage from this new machine, there are some very nice pieces of hardware out there now, nice RAM and processors and all kinds of things, very fast some of them, just make sure you buy good bits and they should last you a long time.
Robert, make one screenshot again, but now expand items (click + sign) for mainboard and cpu. i want to know your dell mainboard temperature and cpu temperature, also fan speed (if supported by hwmonitor).
Holding down too many keys at once on some keyboards could cause a beep from the internal speaker on old computers.
maaaybe? Or was that a w95 thing Smile

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hardware System Requirements - Increasing and Increasing theSEMAR 20 59,959 Nov 17, 2021, 14:31 pm
Last Post: waregim
  Building a System vs. Buying a System RobertX 26 67,081 Jul 08, 2019, 09:34 am
Last Post: dueda
  IHDS118-04 DVD-ROM Drive Not Recognised by BIOS But Can be Used in OS RobertX 0 17,504 Jan 19, 2018, 07:10 am
Last Post: RobertX
  Everything You've Wanted To Know About Net Neutrality But Were Afraid To Ask Mike 3 22,189 Dec 24, 2017, 23:47 pm
Last Post: politux
  AT&T Develops Credits System to Limit File-Sharing Bandwidth Ernesto 1 16,658 Jan 30, 2014, 19:22 pm
Last Post: ddoking007