Be Careful, folks.
(Aug 23, 2016, 23:55 pm)beaglebandit Wrote: I didn't see them, this time...were they stuff we've posted as other/other?

I don't think so. I've not seen anything that we've upped and categorised as Other/Other being 'faked'.

Speaking of which, two more have cropped up by charlesvmorales. I've commented on them as Fake.
ok..so that plan's working.
This isn't a thing targeting us..they post daz stuff, movies tv, music...just grabbing stuff from, and into big categories, so it gets sweeped up quickly.
The fact that they try to push executables is itself a joke, and a dead giveaway for fakes. They're just throwing it all against the wall to see what sticks.
True. Of concern with it though is that when newbies to the product search, they always start off with the generic "daz3d" typed in the searchbar. That brings up a bunch of stuff, but if they then click to organize by date uploaded, to go through the newest stuff, it's the fake stuff from these bulk uploaders/bots/whatever that end up near the top. That's how I found them, in fact.

Not to mention, most of the Daz fakes weren't there until we started our group here. TPB had very little in the way of uploads, and in fact the few they had, some of them were uploads by a member or two of our group while KAT was still alive, and most of the old ones were dead. I used to come here to look for stuff that wasn't on KAT or for things on KAT that no longer had seeds, so I know how dead it was before we showed up.

Other than labeling ours as other/other (and hoping the spammers don't do the same eventually), I think our best bets are to maybe in the description put something to the effect of "Uploaded by Daz Community" or whatever name we want to give ourselves, so that a newbie can see an "official" upload. I noticed similar done by a Frank Zappa group here actually, when I had the jones for Joe's Garage the other night,lol!

Do something like that, report the spammers as often as we find them, and comment "FAKE" on their torrents in the meantime. It will actually help grow our community in the long run, it will introduce newbies to our group, letting them know there is an active "Daz Underground", and it will help keep our torrents seeded enough that at least most of ours will be on the top page if anyone searches by number of seeds. It also shows positive and continuous action, letting people know that A- the group is uploading quality while actively trying to eliminate fakes, much like the old KAT reputation worked; and B- it shows an ACTIVE group, which will give newbies an incentive to search for us and join.

Fresh blood, and we can "raise our kids right", to help support the artists and creators, while at the same time still sharing...teach them how to search for content the "proper" way, how to search before requesting, etc.
(Aug 25, 2016, 12:21 pm)wolfenspiel Wrote: Not to mention, most of the Daz fakes weren't there until we started our group here.

Yep, the faker bots follow the demand and upload their crap accordingly.

(Aug 25, 2016, 12:21 pm)wolfenspiel Wrote: Other than labeling ours as other/other (and hoping the spammers don't do the same eventually), I think our best bets are to maybe in the description put something to the effect of "Uploaded by Daz Community" or whatever name we want to give ourselves, so that a newbie can see an "official" upload. I noticed similar done by a Frank Zappa group here actually, when I had the jones for Joe's Garage the other night,lol!

Another thing you can do is to link to your forum profile, your Promote Your Torrents Thread, and even the Daz sub forum here. You can include the links in your description, or as separate comments. Attracting new blood here will ensure noobs get to know who the legit uploaders are and pick up some knowledge on how to spot the fakes.

Thanks for your efforts so far btw in helping to keep TPB clean, much appreciated.
Thank YOU for the ideas! We had a pretty decent community over at KAT, but KAT is history as it stands, and even with a community page there, it isn't the same without the torrents as well. This is one of the best things we have going now, as ell as an opportunity to start over from scratch, using our successes and failures at KAT as models how and how not to do things this time around.

Any help provided here from the experts is appreciated.
Good advice there, worth following.

But it's important to consider perspective or you will freak yourselves out.

Each day, some fakes are uploaded. And each day, they're deleted.

You guys are already enthusiasts. And you're already "in-the-loop". You're keeping a very close eye on what is uploaded every day.

i.e. you're seeing far more fakes over time than a newbie will (making the problem look much bigger to you than it really is). A newbie will turn up tomorrow and see a large (ever growing) number of "real" torrents and, perhaps, a few fakes uploaded that day. They may not even see any at all.

Just saying...

So keep up the reporting work, and we'll keep up the deleting work.

And I really encourage the inclusion of standard links in your torrents to get people to look here so that you can educate them (and they can swell your ranks). By time newbies become enthusiasts they will know what the fakes are and know to avoid them.

P.S. Also, don't be misled if a fake appears to be well seeded and highly leeched--those figures are as fake as the fakes themselves--so there aren't hundreds of people being fooled into downloading shit. Most of the time the torrents aren't ever downloaded by anyone before we clip them.
(Aug 25, 2016, 19:44 pm)Sid Wrote: P.S. Also, don't be misled if a fake appears to be well seeded and highly leeched--those figures are as fake as the fakes themselves--so there aren't hundreds of people being fooled into downloading shit. Most of the time the torrents aren't ever downloaded by anyone before we clip them.

I just reported another spammer ( josephpsantana ) and was taken aback by the apparent number of peers and seeders. What tipped me off is...
-wide variety of software posted in the last few hours,
-programs that I know to contain several hundred (at least) MB at least, containing only 20 or so MB,
-an exe in a graphic file,
-that graphic file NOT containing the 3D formatted file I know should be there.

How are they able to fake this amount of traffic?
Perhaps TPB could put a link on it's front page leading to a page that shows newbies and casual downloaders how to spot a fake.

To the old KAT Daz/Poser crowd, it's nice that we're maintaining two communities (here and Demonoid). This will give us some resiliency should one go down. Just remember to be 'different' people on each one as it'll make us harder to track/locate/hold down and have us licked into submission by kittens and puppies.

This place needs smilies...I like smilies :-)
(Aug 25, 2016, 19:44 pm)Sid Wrote: P.S. Also, don't be misled if a fake appears to be well seeded and highly leeched--those figures are as fake as the fakes themselves--so there aren't hundreds of people being fooled into downloading shit. Most of the time the torrents aren't ever downloaded by anyone before we clip them.

I was wondering about that. I searched for Windows 10 few hours ago and saw quite a lot of fake uploads from today, some of those with ~2000 seeders.
I couldn't believe how many people were fooled by 5MB Windows. It makes more sense now.
(Aug 26, 2016, 05:40 am)1e177491968 Wrote: How are they able to fake this amount of traffic?
Perhaps TPB could put a link on it's front page leading to a page that shows newbies and casual downloaders how to spot a fake.

They're not faking traffic they're faking traffic reports.

I'm not going to explain how but, if you're not convinced, just ask yourself how plausible it is that torrents which are fairly obviously fake would be downloaded far more often than torrents which are fairly obviously legit.

I have argued for educational messages on a number of occasions but Winston isn't up for it. And, to be fair, the people who really need that sort of education are the ones who don't notice that sort of information or bother reading it even if they do. The ones who pay enough attention to notice such links and follow up on them are the ones who aren't fooled by the fakes anyway.