Autodesk Software Phoning Home
Hi

A friend of mine was asking if it is possible to block Autodesk software from phoning home with 100% confidence. Currently he has a PC which runs backup versions of Maya. He has another, registered (subscription) version of Maya running on a work laptop which he sometimes brings home. The PC is there for the times he doesn't have the laptop and as a kind of insurance that he'll always have access to his files. He's concerned that if the PC is connected to the internet, it will squeal and if the work laptop happens to be on the same network, it too might somehow detect a less than legit version of Maya.

Currently, his solution to this problem is to leave the default gateway blank in the network settings of the PC. This allows him to see his local network (and NAS)  but prevents connection to the outside world and any remote servers. Ideally though, what he's after is being able to connect to the internet on the PC but have absolute confidence there's nothing connecting somewhere he'd rather it wasn't. He also wants to know whether services like Bonjour are something to worry about. 

He knows about Firewalls, but doesn't trust the default Windows 10 firewall. He's found others like Comodo and ZoneAlarm either too baffling due to the granular nature of trying to interpret network traffic, or way too Lax in allowing "Trusted" applications from an arbitrary list to connect at will. Also, it seems programs like Maya install other applications and services in other places on the system which are hard to track and identify as potential leaks.

Does anybody have any tips or knowledge they could pass on?
http://tinywall.pados.hu/

If you have Windows 7, Tinywall Firewall blocks programs from any online access by default.

I don't know about Windows 8.1 or 10, but I have Windows 7 and it works for me.
Thanks for the tip, I'll pass it on :-)
So how's it going with your friend?

Did he sort out the problem yet?
He's downloaded the firewall you mentioned but hasn't installed it yet, just busy with other things. But thanks again for the suggestions.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Common Sense vs. Antivirus Software: Debunking the Need for Pricey Protection! lustrous 9 2,736 Feb 12, 2024, 22:00 pm
Last Post: RobertX
  FreeDOS vs. DOSBOX: Which is better for legacy software use? RobertX 35 26,514 Nov 03, 2023, 14:12 pm
  Manga software daigorohanzo 0 4,045 Jun 19, 2023, 10:36 am
Last Post: daigorohanzo
  Viruses in Software baulus 20 28,859 May 07, 2023, 21:21 pm
  Software suggestions for downloading Masterclass and Wondrium Iliketacos 3 6,333 Jan 12, 2023, 11:27 am
Last Post: Iliketacos