"Attorney General" Regrets Lying To Judge; Saying A Reporter Was A Terrorist.
Giving a talk at the Washington Ideas Forum, outgoing Attorney General Eric Holder spoke about two different (though, similarly named) journalists that the DOJ has been absolutely egregious in trying to abuse for the sake of questionable leak investigations. Regarding James Risen, the NY Times reporter who the DOJ has been pursuing and demanding he reveal sources concerning a leak (when it's clear the DOJ already knows the source and is just doing this to destroy Risen's credibility with sources), Holder says that the DOJ expects "a resolution" in the near future. That's not too surprising. Holder and the DOJ seem to realize that actually putting Risen in jail (the next step in the process) probably wouldn't go over very well.

But it's the other journalist where things get a bit dicier. That's Fox News reporter James Rosen (note the different letter from Risen). Rosen, you may recall, had his phone, email and security badge records grabbed by the government, after the DOJ told a court that Rosen wasn't a reporter, but "an aider and abettor and/or co-conspirator" in the "crime" of leaking classified information about North Korea from the State Department. It later came out that the DOJ actually pretended Risen was involved in a bombing in its motions to the court.

Holder was asked if there was a decision during his tenure that he regretted, and he brought up the Rosen story:
Quote:Holder: I think that -- I think about the subpoena to the Fox reporter, Rosen. I think that I could have been a little more careful in looking at the language that was contained in the filing that we made with the court. He was labeled as a -- as a co-conspirator. I mean, you had to do that as a result of the statute, but there are ways in which I think that could have been done differently, done better. And that's one of the reasons why I thought the criticism that we received because of that -- and the AP matter as well -- was something that we had to act upon and why we put in place this review of our -- the way in which we interact with the media.
Except, as Julian Sanchez points out, that's completely bogus. Holder claiming they had to do that because of the statute is flat out opposites-ville. They had to do that because the statute doesn't allow them to spy on journalists. The law was designed to stop the DOJ from spying on journalists, and so the only way to break that was to lie to the court. The law in question -- 18 USC 793 is designed to only apply to the people actually committing the crime of leaking defense information -- and not to reporters.

Holder claiming that the statute effectively "forced" him into declaring Rosen a co-conspirator is ridiculous. The statute compels him not to seize Rosen's records. Holder is admitting that the DOJ lied to the court here and trying to blame the statute for that lie. That's astounding.

Originally Published: Thu, 30 Oct 2014 16:23:50 GMT
source
must be nice being an attorney general... regular people lie to judges all the time too, but they find themselves instantly regretting it... from fucking jail.
Yeah, it's pretty fucking stunning. And very educational about how no fucks at all are given by those guys about the laws they lash citizens with.

George Orwell had it right when he said "If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever."

Nobody will even think of prosecuting Holder over his confessed perjury and perversion of the course of justice.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New army chief General Sanders urges Britain to prepare for total war with Russia Resurgence 0 6,712 Jun 30, 2022, 02:20 am
Last Post: Resurgence
  USA Today says reporter fabricated interviews and sources, removes 23 articles Resurgence 0 5,623 Jun 18, 2022, 00:06 am
  Zelensky displays hypocrisy by saying Western arms not used against civilians Resurgence 0 5,638 Jun 16, 2022, 16:54 pm
  German government harassing Donetsk reporter Alina Lipp Resurgence 0 5,656 Jun 16, 2022, 02:25 am
  Controversial Israeli envoy elected as vice-president of UN General Assembly Resurgence 0 4,885 Jun 10, 2022, 01:27 am