Anti-Piracy Group Stops Prolific Uploader
Did you read the OP?  The bold red letters state possible ways the subjects of the article could have been identified.

VPN or not, if you are leaving other signposts on the internet, a motivated individual or group can trace them back to you.

A VPN is not a guarantee of anonymity.  It is merely a hurdle that one hopes is high enough to discourage the hounds.
"The anti-piracy group is known to scour the Internet for information that can identify infringers, some of whom are surprisingly easy to find.

In addition, BREIN also uses previously convicted file-sharers to gather intelligence, and rival uploaders also rat out their competitors voluntarily every now and then.

“We do get anonymous tips regarding offenders and from time to time it is clear that a tip comes from a ‘competitor."

---

i did read the bold red letters and i'm still not sure how they're going to identify who i am. if they don't have my IP, how can they prove i'm the one that uploaded?

what "signposts" am i leaving on the internet?
(Dec 05, 2015, 23:47 pm)caca Wrote: if they don't have my IP, how can they prove i'm the one that uploaded?

what "signposts" am i leaving on the internet?

Because they can connect your username on the various sites(s) you've posted on to you.

I don't know what breadcrumbs you have left around the internet because I haven't gone looking.

I'm just pointing out that there are other ways beyond IP addresses to connect uploaders to real people.

Keep in mind this thread is about going after the sources for the torrents themselves, not the individuals that may have participated in the swarm.
so just because someone has the same username as someone who uploaded a torrent, they can be sued and have to pay $$$?

what other ways are there to identify uploaders?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ‘Movie Piracy Brings in Millions of Extra Revenue Through Promotion’ Ernesto 5 55,824 Jul 07, 2022, 22:21 pm
Last Post: RobertX
  Piracy & Money Are Virtually Inseparable & People Probably Don’t Care Anymore Ernesto 2 23,409 Apr 09, 2018, 01:03 am
Last Post: dueda
  ExtraTorrent Uploader Groups Launch Their Own Torrent Site Ernesto 6 23,705 Nov 05, 2017, 01:27 am
Last Post: Sid
  Pirate Bay Founder: The ‘Piracy’ Scene Needs Innovation Ernesto 66 270,251 Sep 14, 2017, 23:13 pm
Last Post: RobertX
  Internet Archive Blocked in 2,650 Site Anti-Piracy Sweep Ernesto 1 17,555 Aug 10, 2017, 11:31 am
Last Post: ShadowHD