An informal poll
(Nov 26, 2021, 13:46 pm)Torgo Wrote: I personally was not impressed with seasons 11 and 12.  I hoped that if they continued things would improve, but since it's being restarted again I'll have to reset my expectations.  I hope people enjoy the new stuff, and I'll check it out, but I don't think it will live up to what I want.

100% this.  I backed The Return and wanted to love it, but bluntly and simply I did not.  I really don't have the desire to rewatch any of those eps.  It's all just so extra. Too many jokes, too shiny, and it just tries sooooo hard to be clever.  The thing I really loved about the return?  The new theme song!  And the love for that didn't last long, thanks Har Mar. <sad horn>

Emily seems lovely and several of the newest batch of performers were delightful on the youtube videos they made last summer, so I have hope, but low expectations.

I am legit thankful that we have Rifftrax to pick up where MST left off at season 10 and that's more than we deserve. Happy belated Turkey Day, y'all!
Miss Martian, that was an excellent summation. And I agree with all your points. You've clearly thought this through.

I don't "hate" 11+12, I'm just disappointed by them. Whats the saying ... Third time's a charm?
Just to say: I LOVED Cinematic Titanic & felt they had a real great, new type of vibe. The Feel of CT to me wasn't MST3K - either Joel or Mike era; CT felt laid back & observational & sly. I confess? I've yet to watch any of Joel's Seasons 11 & 12 MST3K. But with seemingly so many reviews being graded as C+ to F? I'm deeply wary...especially with the loads of RiffTrax to rewatch...
The fact that so many chuds hated the new seasons gives me even more hope that this new one will be great. Emily is fantastic.
frankly, i'm very surprised at the active disdain for these two Netflix seasons. i think we need context here. is either season worthy of the best from Mike's team? hell no. but the films are pretty good picks (to me) and there are some seriously funny lines it in. i think some are expressing purely biased opinions here. i mean, Mike, Kevin and Bill can still throw out some real turds. i thought Hobgoblins was actively unfunny and their energy level was atrocious. nobody can be funny ALL the time, EVERY time. i'd rather watch Gauntlet and Return again that re-visit some of the weaker offerings from RT team recently.
(Nov 27, 2021, 11:14 am)mystiqueishot Wrote: frankly, i'm very surprised at the active disdain for these two Netflix seasons.  i think we need context here.  is either season worthy of the best from Mike's team?  hell no.  but the films are pretty good picks (to me) and there are some seriously funny lines it in.  i think some are expressing purely biased opinions here.  i mean, Mike, Kevin and Bill can still throw out some real turds.  i thought Hobgoblins was actively unfunny and their energy level was atrocious.  nobody can be funny ALL the time, EVERY time.  i'd rather watch Gauntlet and Return again that re-visit some of the weaker offerings from RT team recently.

I mentioned a few things that bothered me about nu-MST, but only one thing keeps me from enjoying it, sp do bear with me for just a moment. (Or not. No hot takes here.)

The jokes are too many and come at me way too fast. I know, "It's been said before and we heard." The problem is not with the jokes themselves but that I cannot follow the movies, like at all.  Talk over some unimportant dialog? Sure. Talking over plot points?  Please don't. I got into MST because, as a kid, I liked cheesy movies. I loved that Joel and the bots made fun of the things I chuckled at while watching 'em. GENIUS! I love the format and have for...what, 30+ years. I can handle new tech, new methods, new riffers and updated...everything, really!  Those are quibbles.

What we all come for is the riffing of cheesy movies, and an important part of that is knowing what is happening in my schlock flick! Honestly, I think there's probably a lack of faith that the jokes will land and the writers are overcompensating with more comments/jokes than a reasonable person can follow. It's not hate, not at all.  I'm more than a little fond of Mr. Hodgeson for creating and developing this thing that is my very favorite form of comedy. OG Joel and Mike were in no hurry to get to the next joke. I really wish they'd just take a deep breath an relax a bit.
fair enough - totally defensible positions there! i hadn't really thought of the velocity of the jokes...i need to go back and re-watch. to be honest, seeing Return/Gauntlet on Netflix is what got me back into MST3K and, shortly after, RT and riffing in general. i honestly didn't know Mike, Kevin and Bill had gone on at all until 3 years ago lol. So maybe Jonah gets a sentimental pass for me lol.

whoever gave me negative reputation for simply asking questions - awesome! way to encourage discussion.
one thing nu-MST3K made me realize is that what I'd enjoyed most about the show was the individual personalities
and unique comedy sensibilities of the specific people involved, rather than any of the trappings or tropes of the
franchise itself.
(Nov 27, 2021, 01:17 am)knowMATTER Wrote: Just to say: I LOVED Cinematic Titanic & felt they had a real great, new type of vibe. The Feel of CT to me wasn't MST3K - either Joel or Mike era; CT felt laid back & observational & sly. I confess? I've yet to watch any of Joel's Seasons 11 & 12 MST3K. But with seemingly so many reviews being graded as C+ to F? I'm deeply wary...especially with the loads of RiffTrax to rewatch...

I really loved Cinematic Titanic too! It was great to have every mad and bot and host all in only 2 places--CT and Rifftrax.  I would have been happier if that had continued alongside Rifftrax. It must be important to Joel to have the silhouette on screen. I think it contributes to the feeling of watching the movie with them. It doesn't really matter to some, i.e. those Cinema Editions that turn old MST into something closer to Rifftrax with no intro or host segments or shadowrama onscreen. I guess it comes down to Joel liking to have a framework, or a premise for riffing, whereas Rifftrax has no premise--they just riff movies. Although, live CT shows and live Rifftrax shows are basically the same. 
 Anyway, MST3K Season 11's Land That Time Forgot and Beast of Hollow Mountain are both top tier A episodes of MST3K to me. But everyone's taste is so different. 
People saying the host segments suck, yeah mostly. Kinda like how they mostly sucked since the inception of the show. In the 90s I fast forwarded or left the room half the time during those. Now that I am all nostalgic, I love the host segments. Until Pearl and Brain Guy and monkey dude. Bobo. Ugh.  But if you are used to Rifftrax, everything but the movie feels like a bonus anyway. I personally cannot ever detract "points" from an episode because the host segments were bad.
My fav episode of the season has changed many times, but if you decide to take advice from a stranger online, give ep7 Land That Time Forgot a shot. The movie itself is pretty good and there's a submarine and fake dinosaurs.
(I just accidentally convinced myself to rewatch it again myself)
i wasn't really into the new stuff, but I wasn't one of those people who felt they shouldn't be "allowed" to do it just because it didn't appeal to me personally. People shouldn't make this about themselves.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  MST-HD Remaster upscaling help + most-wanted poll Seacom 8 3,610 Nov 21, 2023, 01:47 am
Last Post: Anarchemist
  REQ/POLL: S13E01 Santo May 6 Public Premiere Version FrannySpork 0 6,675 May 07, 2022, 08:35 am
Last Post: FrannySpork
  Community Poll! Riffling 11 15,613 Jun 24, 2020, 12:59 pm
Last Post: TheDarkPrince2018