Am I 'Normal?'
Today, I've made a perverse discovery: I do not like pre-releases, and can no longer justify them.

When I mean "pre-releases," I mean stuff that are released for free consumption by pirates ahead of time. Hot off the press, in other words.

Now, I'm not going to say that I haven't used one unknowingly, and that I don't like piracy. Of course I like piracy; all my life, I've been assisted by it, loved by it, and I love it back. Piracy has been my life. I can justify using it and sharing it to myself forever. It is useful on many grounds: evaluation, backup, convenience, and need. But here's the bad part.

Besides opportunities for equal consumption around the world, like the destruction of region-coding, what appeal does it have for downloading it ahead of time? What purpose does it have other than to justify that we are impatient and, if I may be so bold, spoiled. Now, like I said, I love piracy, and I believe in the spirit of sharing culture, but if we to continue to eat the forbidden fruit, at least we should have some patience to wait until the tree can produce more.

I hope this doesn't paint a bad, hypocritical picture of myself, and I hope this doesn't make enemies out of the friends that I make in this forum, but I think I've become someone that I don't like.

As posed by the topic, am I normal?
I'm past pre-release stuff as well. Simply because, for the most part, it's lower quality/more problematic than what comes later, and there is no book/movie/game/whatever that it will kill me to wait a few more months for.
I personally am focused on PC games. Just bought my second hard drive for the storage of pirated games only.
Having such a huge selection of my favourite genres available, I won't have the need for any pre-releases or early access, betas .. ever

But consider this, many of us actually still buy some PC games, after we have tested the pirated version - my shelves are over crowded.
However, I agree to not distribute any pre-releases that were developed by small, independent groups and start-ups for obvious reasons.
you have to define normal before you can compare yourself to it... and then you have to deal with the perspectives of others. it's easier just to do as you wish and disregard classifications.
(May 25, 2015, 14:13 pm)RobertX Wrote: Today, I've made a perverse discovery: I do not like pre-releases, and can no longer justify them.

When I mean "pre-releases," I mean stuff that are released for free consumption by pirates ahead of time. Hot off the press, in other words.

Now, I'm not going to say that I haven't used one unknowingly, and that I don't like piracy. Of course I like piracy; all my life, I've been assisted by it, loved by it, and I love it back. Piracy has been my life. I can justify using it and sharing it to myself forever. It is useful on many grounds: evaluation, backup, convenience, and need. But here's the bad part.

Besides opportunities for equal consumption around the world, like the destruction of region-coding, what appeal does it have for downloading it ahead of time? What purpose does it have other than to justify that we are impatient and, if I may be so bold, spoiled. Now, like I said, I love piracy, and I believe in the spirit of sharing culture, but if we to continue to eat the forbidden fruit, at least we should have some patience to wait until the tree can produce more.

I hope this doesn't paint a bad, hypocritical picture of myself, and I hope this doesn't make enemies out of the friends that I make in this forum, but I think I've become someone that I don't like.

As posed by the topic, am I normal?

I actually agree with you for all the reasons you posted. When I was younger, I used to have to have a game that was cracked one day old or something, but that was more for a status thing. I guess that goes with what Stormium was saying about a perspective thing??? Now I don't care

If I want to watch a movie, I'll wait until the HD formats come out...
stormium, when I added the word 'normal,' I am using it loosely. I am capable of dealing with different viewpoints. I intended that everyone is welcome to raise/lower the bar on what/how they perceive as normal, or rather, appropriate (and even that is used loosely).

No defiance to your authority, stormium, of course.
I guess its just all about what you like.
A pre-release is previous to the release, so how do you know it already? Marketing maybe?
We all are exposed to marketing, we all are consumers of things we don't need with money we don't have.
Don't feel guilty for not paying the troll, feel guilty for being a slave.

You are free NOT to see this
Personally, r.e. Software or O/S's, i like pre-releases or TP's. But that's me with my pirate hat on. Pre-release stuff in general? I dump the chaff and keep the wheat.
[Image: uaFr7l0.jpg]