All I know is Windows and I want to switch to a Linux OS
this popped up in one of my news feeds yesterday and thought it may be of interest:

https://www.howtogeek.com/693588/how-to-install-linux/
(Oct 07, 2020, 12:07 pm)RodneyYouPlonker Wrote:
(Oct 07, 2020, 09:14 am)soulcity Wrote: Obviously I'm not very technical when it comes to computers.

So I need to be able to run all my windows programs and stuff and it needs to be easy to install.

Is there a version of Linux for people like me?

soulcity, I wouldn't bother, Linux is for programmers and sorts like that.  Somewhere for them to wave their willy around and brag about how they got it all for free.

As my mate says who is very much a veteran in the computer world as a network manager for well over 20 years.  His words were "you are doing something which is 20 times more complicated, things that can be done in Windows are 20 times more difficult in Linux and you spend all that time trying to do simple tasks which are completely over the top in skill".

All the best I hope my advice help you in the future.

That's not true! I've been using Linux for a long time and everything is much easier than windows. This is especially the case when you're using a desktop environment where all the GUI programs are already bundled in, and you don't have to deal with the complexities and pains that come with using proprietary software.
(Oct 14, 2020, 06:28 am)pfib Wrote:
(Oct 07, 2020, 12:07 pm)RodneyYouPlonker Wrote:
(Oct 07, 2020, 09:14 am)soulcity Wrote: Obviously I'm not very technical when it comes to computers.

So I need to be able to run all my windows programs and stuff and it needs to be easy to install.

Is there a version of Linux for people like me?

soulcity, I wouldn't bother, Linux is for programmers and sorts like that.  Somewhere for them to wave their willy around and brag about how they got it all for free.

As my mate says who is very much a veteran in the computer world as a network manager for well over 20 years.  His words were "you are doing something which is 20 times more complicated, things that can be done in Windows are 20 times more difficult in Linux and you spend all that time trying to do simple tasks which are completely over the top in skill".

All the best I hope my advice help you in the future.

That's not true! I've been using Linux for a long time and everything is much easier than windows. This is especially the case when you're using a desktop environment where all the GUI programs are already bundled in, and you don't have to deal with the complexities and pains that come with using proprietary software.

Well, I have been using Windows 10 for 5 years now.  Had a few problems to deal with but have since solved those problems.  As far as I'm concerned now it is a very nice operating system and I don't mind if I had to purchase it because I don't care about whether it was free or not.  As far as I'm concerned it works very well for me and I enjoy my time using it.  Have tried using Linux before in the past, just found it a total nightmare, things didn't work, it was buggy as hell.  Ended up getting rid of Linux it was just a pain to use.  Too much messing around for me and also didn't have the time nor the patience to try and make it work and get things working like they do in Windows 10.  Just don't have the time to sit and read some pain in the ass manual that takes days to figure out.  The simple tasks that could have been done in Windows 10 were so easy to sort out where on the other hand Linux was a nightmare and therefore found no reason to bother with it.  My friend for long time, he says it's 20 more times complicated and I happen to agree with him.  Yes it is a pain to use, only for those experienced folks in the computer world, for the programmers etc.. of the IT world not the novice people.  Windows 10 for me has been terrific and I strongly disagree with your opinion on Linux over Windows I'd pick Windows 10 any day.  At least Windows 10 is easy to fix when there's issues but with Linux like I said if you're a novice computer user you could be sat there for days scratching your head probably in most cases will end up not bothering and returning back to Windows.  Linux is something which can take a long time to solve and I don't have the time I'm usually very busy just want something that works and no hassle.
(Oct 14, 2020, 09:19 am)RodneyYouPlonker Wrote: Waah waaaaahhhh waaaaaahhhhh I'm too dumb to understand how Linux works. I think you should use Windows like me, so I can feel better.
(Oct 14, 2020, 09:19 am)RodneyYouPlonker Wrote: Well, I have been using Windows 10 for 5 years now.  Had a few problems to deal with but have since solved those problems.  As far as I'm concerned now it is a very nice operating system and I don't mind if I had to purchase it because I don't care about whether it was free or not. 

I think you are confused as to what we freetards mean when we say free. It's not about price. It's about freedom.

(Oct 14, 2020, 09:19 am)RodneyYouPlonker Wrote: As far as I'm concerned it works very well for me and I enjoy my time using it.

That is a valid reason for using windows. However...

(Oct 14, 2020, 09:19 am)RodneyYouPlonker Wrote:   Have tried using Linux before in the past, just found it a total nightmare, things didn't work, it was buggy as hell.  Ended up getting rid of Linux it was just a pain to use.  Too much messing around for me and also didn't have the time nor the patience to try and make it work and get things working like they do in Windows 10.  Just don't have the time to sit and read some pain in the ass manual that takes days to figure out.  The simple tasks that could have been done in Windows 10 were so easy to sort out where on the other hand Linux was a nightmare and therefore found no reason to bother with it.  My friend for long time, he says it's 20 more times complicated and I happen to agree with him.  Yes it is a pain to use, only for those experienced folks in the computer world, for the programmers etc.. of the IT world not the novice people.  Windows 10 for me has been terrific and I strongly disagree with your opinion on Linux over Windows I'd pick Windows 10 any day.  At least Windows 10 is easy to fix when there's issues but with Linux like I said if you're a novice computer user you could be sat there for days scratching your head probably in most cases will end up not bothering and returning back to Windows.  Linux is something which can take a long time to solve and I don't have the time I'm usually very busy just want something that works and no hassle.

...This is a load of ballyhoo for many reasons, but first and foremost, there are a multitude of linux distros that all differ in design and time required to write config and init files just to get it to boot. It would help your point if you could at least tell us which linux distro you tried. And what exact problems you had.

But you always refuse to do so. Let me help you out with a freebie: The way windows copies files between drives is a lot faster than linux since win7 I believe - where on linux (the debian based distros I've used), copying 5000 1kb files is infinitely slower than one 5mb file.

On the other hand I know that my OS is running on open source drivers, doesn't phone home unless I tell it to, allows me to do any tweak on it i desire, doesn't randomly delete software it thinks is malware, doesn't have malware problems at all, has a kick ass free and open source creative suite available (especially on the audio side), has a media player that beats the shit out of anything else on any platform, I could go on... But most importantly, it's retard level easy to use if you pick one of the multiple user friendly desktop distros.
(Oct 14, 2020, 13:36 pm)ill88eagle Wrote: On the other hand I know that my OS is running on open source drivers, doesn't phone home unless I tell it to, allows me to do any tweak on it i desire, doesn't randomly delete software it thinks is malware, doesn't have malware problems at all, has a kick ass free and open source creative suite available (especially on the audio side), has a media player that beats the shit out of anything else on any platform, I could go on... But most importantly, it's retard level easy to use if you pick one of the multiple user friendly desktop distros.

You also forgot a few extra bits you missed out there in your post:

My operating system, which is Linux is a lot of headache to get working.  My operating system, Linux, takes a lot of learning to figure it all out properly.  My Linux operating system is free to use but because I'm a programmer I have to fix a lot of the bugs myself.  My Linux operating system works like I want but only because I'm technically a programmer and have been taught by somebody so I know how to put it all right after I've installed it.  My Linux operating system is popular for people like me but for the average Joe nobody is going to go near it because they have no idea how to install all the correct libraries that it requires.  My Linux operating system, through many years of use has finally got to where I can actually make this thing function as if it is actually Windows but it is infact something where I don't have to pay for anything so therefore I can spend my money on other non related computer equipment.  My Linux OS runs on a very basic kind of hardware configuration and seems to perform so therefore I can buy myself a machine at a very low budget and not have to break the bank.  My Linux OS is free to use because I don't plan of giving any money to anybody in the software world because I couldn't live with that idea even if they have put lots of effort into a program of my liking.  My Linux OS is a reason to go around on the internet telling Windows users that they are all wrong and should be like me and copy just the same as what I do.  My Linux is like an extension of my body and one day I'm going to learn how to implant it into my arm so I can virtually communicate with the internet while walking down the street a bit like a cyborg but even more rediculous.  My very special Linux OS is where I spend all my time and I completely repel the Microsoft world of computers as I've started my own revolution right here in this forum where I one day will become a god among gods.  My Linux OS is where I harvest all my IT solutions and one day hope to rule the world with endless configurations of advanced technological mayhem as I slowly shift the planet into a full meltdown and turn all the Windows users into slaves so I can reprogram the entire planet in my own choosing.  My Linux OS is where I can generate all my infinite galaxy communications into the far reaches of outer space and conquer mankind into a total defeat of uncontrolled sacrifice...

Something like that maybe?
(Oct 14, 2020, 12:36 pm)Fant0men Wrote:
(Oct 14, 2020, 09:19 am)RodneyYouPlonker Wrote: Waah waaaaahhhh waaaaaahhhhh I'm too dumb to understand how Linux works. I think you should use Windows like me, so I can feel better.

Want to reiterate how it works for us "dumbasses?"

I think we're seriously spiralling out of topic; the original topic was a call for help by soulcity, not a mud-slinging contest about what's the better operating system. Let's remember that's the topic before Moe the Magic-penised Mongrel puts this in the Void with his usual greeting, "Also pns."

So by that end, I ask you, soulcity, do you need extra help?
(Oct 14, 2020, 21:18 pm)RobertX Wrote: Want to reiterate how it works for us "dumbasses?"

Well, first of all you have to stop expecting Linux to be Windows, because it's Linux (not Windows). It's fascinating that in any other context, a learning curve is expected and accepted, but in the case of Linux you should somehow understand it immediately with zero effort on your own part.

There's a learning curve to Windows too, but the difference is that most people grew up using it so they've forgotten that learning experience when they were still figuring Windows out.

Even if I elaborately explained how Linux works it would be useless to beginners, because they want to avoid actually getting into the nitty gritty of using Linux and learning how it works by experience.
(Oct 14, 2020, 09:19 am)RodneyYouPlonker Wrote: Have tried using Linux before in the past, just found it a total nightmare, things didn't work, it was buggy as hell.  Ended up getting rid of Linux it was just a pain to use.  Too much messing around for me and also didn't have the time nor the patience to try and make it work and get things working like they do in Windows 10.  Just don't have the time to sit and read some pain in the ass manual that takes days to figure out.  The simple tasks that could have been done in Windows 10 were so easy to sort out where on the other hand Linux was a nightmare and therefore found no reason to bother with it.  My friend for long time, he says it's 20 more times complicated and I happen to agree with him.  Yes it is a pain to use, only for those experienced folks in the computer world, for the programmers etc.. of the IT world not the novice people.

This sounds eerily similar to the account of someone who tries to jump right into Arch despite knowing nothing about Linux. Linux can be easy, Linux can be hard, and you  choose the difficulty when you chose your distribution. The hard ones often are more rewarding, but they are not a necessity. I've been using Linux for a few months (Fedora 32 with Cinnamon Desktop) and I have to say that it is much easier to use than Windows. I chose my difficulty as low when I chose Cinnamon as my desktop environment because it is very similar to Windows, but I could've just as easily chosen Arch and gotten so frustrated that I just gave up on using anything other than Windows. Generalizing all of Linux as being difficult is just plain false because you choose the difficulty (though I get the feeling you think anything other than windows is hard . There are many distros that are even simpler than MacOS/OSX, which is widely considered to be the easiest to use.

In terms of bugs, I've found none, which is an infinite leap forward from the everyday blue screens I was getting on Win10.
(Oct 16, 2020, 17:50 pm)hyp Wrote:
(Oct 14, 2020, 09:19 am)RodneyYouPlonker Wrote: Have tried using Linux before in the past, just found it a total nightmare, things didn't work, it was buggy as hell.  Ended up getting rid of Linux it was just a pain to use.  Too much messing around for me and also didn't have the time nor the patience to try and make it work and get things working like they do in Windows 10.  Just don't have the time to sit and read some pain in the ass manual that takes days to figure out.  The simple tasks that could have been done in Windows 10 were so easy to sort out where on the other hand Linux was a nightmare and therefore found no reason to bother with it.  My friend for long time, he says it's 20 more times complicated and I happen to agree with him.  Yes it is a pain to use, only for those experienced folks in the computer world, for the programmers etc.. of the IT world not the novice people.

This sounds eerily similar to the account of someone who tries to jump right into Arch despite knowing nothing about Linux. Linux can be easy, Linux can be hard, and you  choose the difficulty when you chose your distribution. The hard ones often are more rewarding, but they are not a necessity. I've been using Linux for a few months (Fedora 32 with Cinnamon Desktop) and I have to say that it is much easier to use than Windows. I chose my difficulty as low when I chose Cinnamon as my desktop environment because it is very similar to Windows, but I could've just as easily chosen Arch and gotten so frustrated that I just gave up on using anything other than Windows. Generalizing all of Linux as being difficult is just plain false because you choose the difficulty (though I get the feeling you think anything other than windows is hard . There are many distros that are even simpler than MacOS/OSX, which is widely considered to be the easiest to use.

In terms of bugs, I've found none, which is an infinite leap forward from the everyday blue screens I was getting on Win10.

hyp, no offence to you but really you should have listened to what RobertX said.  This is soulcity's thread not mine.  She asked about problems she was having.  If she is having computer problems she would post about it but she hasn't for a few days.  Me personally I have totally zero interest in Linux, have no interest at all in any kind of distro in regards to it.  I care not and just don't give a damn about anything to do with Linux so therefore just simply I am not interested in any kind of conversations.  I said my original post or posts, this is not (like what Robert said) a debate about Linux v Windows and really the whole point of this thread was about advice for soulcity.  If this carries on anymore then Moe will interact and place this thread in the void.  I do not care if Moe does this but maybe soulcity might.  The more you bump this thread and the more you keep quoting me just looks like you are looking to bait the conversation more and more and have some kind of silly war which I quite frankly do not have any interest in discussing.  As I've said before I have very little to say on the subject other than I am just a happy Win10 person and do not ever intend to use Linux at any point in my life.  The point of the whole thread is, no I don't like it, I don't want it and no I would never recommend it to anybody.  I have so much stuff to do all the time I don't care at all the last thing I would ever do is sit around looking to learn about Linux when I have all my needs in Win10.  I am totally not interested in learning anything about Linux especially from people on Suprbay as I would just find it a complete bore and I'm just being honest I really just don't want to know.  RobertX knows what he's talking about, if the conversation isn't directed at soulcity and at me then don't even post here and certainly don't quote me because I care none and I would certainly never listen to somebody like Fant0men who has some issues regarding this whole topic.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Want to make a community for educational torrents. kosmous 1 4,165 Jan 07, 2024, 11:51 am
Last Post: kosmous
  Anyone know how to create a .onion site? Ladyanne3 1 1,925 Dec 16, 2023, 08:55 am
Last Post: LZA
  Anyone know of a french site like Tubi? Ladyanne3 19 4,264 Dec 14, 2023, 11:13 am
Last Post: CaptButler
  Anyone know where Amazon Prime downloads the video on your phone? Ladyanne3 14 9,735 Apr 16, 2023, 21:47 pm
Last Post: Ladyanne3
  Anyone know how to flash firmwear on a hard drive? Ladyanne3 5 7,121 Nov 25, 2022, 13:21 pm
Last Post: RodneyYouPlonker