ATX Cases and ATX Motherboards
(Feb 03, 2018, 06:52 am)RobertX Wrote: Me too, but I will do it only after I exhaust all other avenues.

May I congratulate you for good economic practices? All in all, why dump something if a small repair can do?

Yes, it may save power and other good reasons, but will hurt the environment and economy. Specially if you don't really need the new stuff.
If the benefits are good enough you should change, but I wouldn't buy a new mobo for a torrent/media box.

Did you think of the fan-less heatsinks? For some CPUs they work very well with zero power, maintenance and noise.
They require a big, vented box to fit but sounds like yours can do. Check size and mountings of any cooler first.
On the other hand, they may cost more than a cheap mobo, but you save in new CPU, new RAM and some needed parts, like screws.
Yep, changing the main board usually means new parts, sometimes a new power supply and even new hard disk, network, etc (if yours is really old or uncommon).
If I remember right his PC is from 2004. Getting 14 years out of a PC is very good.

If a person is going to replace several parts, they may as well upgrade to something improved instead of trying to beat a dying horse.
It costs very little to make a simple APU based PC that would probably last longer than his current one.

Since APU's run very cool a fan would almost always run silently.
I'm not recommending a novice spend thousands of dollars, but rather building your own simple workstation will not only be cost effective, but will also bestow a lot of knowledge, bonds and hopefully interest in the subject.

I upgraded my Grandmothers PC from an old 2001 to a 2011 CPU and the differences are night and day.
Soon I'll be upgrading her to an APU so her PC can run 24/7 while using half the power of a traditional light bulb.
I agree.
Power use on Robert's PC must be higher than modern systems, specially with APUs as you said.
A good purchase for sure can make the savings in power cost effective, and everyone wins.

But still, I wouldn't dump an old horse. Would let him pull the kids cart and buy me a new mustang to race and show. Call me conservative Smile
Whadda ya say, Robert?
Let me get back to you.

I need to rob a bank first.

EDIT: OK, I'm a dumbass. I didn't even specify the CPU that was overheating. It was a Pentium 4 and the clock speed is 2.8GHz, way off any sane computer user's radar. I guess apologies are in order.

I have been shopping in local franchise dealers and online, and I found that some stores still carry an aftermarket Socket 478 fan/heatsink. I might just look there.

Thanks for the comments so far.

EDIT: You know, upgrading/putting together a new PC does sound appealing. I have seen some Youtube videos and looked at some very sexy cases and modern cooling methods that are also as sexy, like water-cooling for example (sorry if I sound redundant and repeat myself, I am going to sleep soon).

I'll sleep on the options and give you guys an answer tomorrow.

You guys are very bright, so I see.

Good night.
I'm glad you're at least considering upgrading as an option.

If you do upgrade you'll see PC's in a whole new light, especially if you build it yourself. And I would personally recommend going with an APU, if you're not interested in making a high performance gaming PC.
APUs... you've gone way over AMD country. Smile
(Feb 06, 2018, 18:20 pm)RobertX Wrote: Let me get back to you.
I need to rob a bank first.

...seen some very sexy cases and modern cooling methods...

Definitely! Good luck with your new "financier" career!
On liquid cooling, check this - Just add color lights (LEDS and neons) to your taste:

https://www.techpowerup.com/gallery/3219...pc-mark-ii
[Image: 1_550px.jpg]
Best wishes on your new project!

PS: Consider fixing and donating your old PC to charity or sending it to eco-friendly recycle?
Well, until I find more money to actually get a new PC, that other one is the one I will be stuck with.

Still, I don't need it now as I have a few others in my apartment.

Maybe you're right, I will need a new PC and should donate that one.

I'm using this one to do stuff; this one is just two years younger than the other one I am killing.

Well, getting out right now. Please continue this thread so everyone can benefit and learn.

EDIT: Is that an actual computer case, or is that an aquarium?
APU's have really good intergrated graphics so you won't have to get a graphics card and APU's often perform better than most low end graphics cards.
Think of it as less fans, less heat and less noise. Tongue

AMD has made some good improvements in the last couple of years. I had to switch to them because my Intel chip was cracked during an unfortunate water cooling incident.

Submerged PC