3D movies
I know there are 3 main formats for 3D movies. One has them stacked one above the other. Another has them side-by-side. And the third is a combination 2D-3D format. Both the one above the other and side-by-side versions don't seem to work on my 3D equipment, although I have options to use all three formast. I haven't found a 2D-3D format movie for download yet. So my question is do these 3D movies need to be burned as a Blu-Ray DVD, or does burning them as a standard DVD defeat the 3D ability??
Do 3D movies actually work? Like can one actually download a movie and watch it in 3D? I downloaded Pacific Rim and it just looks like a double image.
(Feb 10, 2014, 13:47 pm)Deputy Wrote: I know there are 3 main formats for 3D movies. One has them stacked one above the other. Another has them side-by-side. And the third is a combination 2D-3D format. Both the one above the other and side-by-side versions don't seem to work on my 3D equipment, although I have options to use all three formast. I haven't found a 2D-3D format movie for download yet. So my question is do these 3D movies need to be burned as a Blu-Ray DVD, or does burning them as a standard DVD defeat the 3D ability??

what's your "3D equipment?" (specifically)
when burning them as a data disc, no, it doesn't matter at all what type of media holds it.
it's more difficult to produce a good-looking small-sized 3d encoded file than a standard 2d video file. as compression takes over and destroys details it will put more strain on the eyes when viewing in 3d. so download the largest most un-compressed files you can.
(Feb 18, 2014, 00:35 am)shirepirate Wrote:
(Feb 10, 2014, 13:47 pm)Deputy Wrote: I know there are 3 main formats for 3D movies. One has them stacked one above the other. Another has them side-by-side. And the third is a combination 2D-3D format. Both the one above the other and side-by-side versions don't seem to work on my 3D equipment, although I have options to use all three formast. I haven't found a 2D-3D format movie for download yet. So my question is do these 3D movies need to be burned as a Blu-Ray DVD, or does burning them as a standard DVD defeat the 3D ability??

what's your "3D equipment?" (specifically)
when burning them as a data disc, no, it doesn't matter at all what type of media holds it.
it's more difficult to produce a good-looking small-sized 3d encoded file than a standard 2d video file. as compression takes over and destroys details it will put more strain on the eyes when viewing in 3d. so download the largest most un-compressed files you can.

Samsung Smart Plasma 3D TV PN60F5500AF. Samsung Smart 3D Blu-ray DiscĀ® Player With Built-in Wi-Fi Model Number: BD-F5900/ZA.
I purchased a Blu-Ray 3D disc of the movie "Priest" and it works perfect. I also went on YouTube and watched parts of Avatar in 3D and it worked perfect. Both were of the "interleaved" type of 3D version. The formats that don't work are the side-by-side and "stacked" formats. Even on YouTube those formats don't play as 3D. The 3D glasses I use are the shutterered version that came with the TV. I have NOT seen the inteleaved version of 3D posted on Pirate Bay. No idea why that is but that seems to be the format used to make the Blu-Ray 3D DVDs.
so what happens when you choose 3D SBS from the options menu on the tv? have you tried to install the plex media server app in your blu-ray player?
(Feb 18, 2014, 20:57 pm)shirepirate Wrote: so what happens when you choose 3D SBS from the options menu on the tv? have you tried to install the plex media server app in your blu-ray player?

When I watch the movie after choosing 3D SBS it plays as two images side by side. Same for when I choose the "stacked" format. It plays as two images one above the other. I don't know anything about a plex media app. What is that?

BTW...I just received Prometheus yesterday. I was really blown away by the 3D in it. It is well-integrated and is in almost every scene. It really shows what 3D can do.
I finally figured out how to make 3D movies work. It has to be manually chosen as far as SBS or OU. I even got 3D stuff burned on DVDs to work. VERY cool!Smile
Hi, guys

Sorry, I don't mean to be off-top, but my "question" regards uploaded 3D .iso which- judging from the format - are virtual BluRays: whenever I download the title (pyratebay, kickass) that claims to be 3D .iso it's always 2D and NOT 3D, though of amazing quality (48 fps instead of common 24 fps). I mean, maybe stop lying, or there's something I can't get if it's INDEED possible to play them as 3D. Could someone explain what the hell is going on?
east: There are programs available that will "convert" 2D to 3D. I've tried all of them, and while they will convert movies to 3D FORMAT, they won't really BE 3D. They end up looking exactly the same as 2D. So I think lots of people are uploading garbage like that and calling it 3D. At least, this has been me experience with 3D stuff. Also, there are some movies (Predator comes to mind) that ARE 3D, but they are so poorly done, that they aren't worth viewing. Some 3D "conversions" are done on a machine, and the results are pretty crummy.
(Apr 16, 2014, 16:30 pm)Deputy Wrote: east: There are programs available that will "convert" 2D to 3D. I've tried all of them, and while they will convert movies to 3D FORMAT, they won't really BE 3D. They end up looking exactly the same as 2D. So I think lots of people are uploading garbage like that and calling it 3D. At least, this has been me experience with 3D stuff. Also, there are some movies (Predator comes to mind) that ARE 3D, but they are so poorly done, that they aren't worth viewing. Some 3D "conversions" are done on a machine, and the results are pretty crummy.

So, why they can't create normal BluRay 3D .iso? Is it impossible or what?